This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Fizzy Lime Margaritas are bubbly, refreshing, and perfect for afternoon sipping. Make one and relax on the patio or make a pitcher to share with friends. ¡Salud!
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and to celebrate I'm bringing back these Fizzy Lime Margaritas. That's right, it's Throw Back Thursday! This is the once a month where I dig through the old recipes on the blog and choose one that I love but has terrible pictures to remake, rephotograph, and reshare with you. ♡ #tbt
Fizzy Lime Margaritas are a fav cocktail recipe of mine. Here's why you'll love them:
- They're bubbly and bubbly cocktails = awesome and refreshing.
- They're super simple to make. Tart lime juice + sweet agave syrup + delicious tequila + bubbly club soda.
- No weird-tasting ingredients here. Bye-bye, icky lime cordial and tubs of premade margarita mix. Don't let the door kick you on the way out!
- No refined sugars. That's right, these babies are sweetened with a touch of agave syrup. I like the subtle flavor it adds and it's better for your sugar status.
- I've read that people who follow a paleo diet should opt for tequila if they choose to drink. I think this means that these Fizzy Lime Margaritas are in the healthy food category. (hehe maybe not really but that's what I'm telling myself.)
- These margaritas are the perfect thing to serve anytime you want a delicious but lighter cocktail. Think wedding showers, Sunday brunch, picnics in the park, BBQ parties, you name it.
PS. if you're wanting a laugh, scroll down to just below the recipe to see the picture of the half-empty (glass half full?) picture I originally shared with this recipe.
Original post date: March 28th, 2012
Sitting here in my chilly apartment, staring out at the overcast skies, sunny Mexico seems like a long ways away. I have ten more long days to wait before I board my Air Canada flight, first to Cuba for a week and a half, and then to Mexico for another week and a half. While I anxiously wait for the next ten days to pass I will be dreaming of beaches and sunshine while sipping on Fizzy Lime Margaritas.
I have to admit, I'm writing this post in advance. Just like I did with the Coconut Raspberry Mojito Jello Shooters and the Aji Guacamole. I feel a little bit funny about this like I'm somehow not being quite honest with you. Here I am saying that I'm in my chilly apartment (which I am as I write), but I'm actually on a sunny beach (when you're reading this.)
I feel better now that I've shared that with you.
If I could read the future, I'd say there are lots of Fizzy Lime Margaritas in store for me. I hope I'm not wrong.
This version of a traditional margarita is a lot lighter, less boozy, and slightly fizzy. I'm tempted to call it a margarita spritzer, but that just sounds too girly. Tart lime, strong tequila, and fizzy soda water come together to make a refreshing summer cocktail. This would be equally as good sipped on your backyard patio as it would on a beach in Mexico.
If you love these Fizzy Lime Margaritas as much as we do, make sure to give them a 5-star review in the comments below!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- Soda water (to taste (see notes))
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Stir the lime zest into the salt then place the lime salt on a plate. Wet the rim of a glass with a cut piece of lime then roll the wet edge of the glass through the lime salt.½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest, 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Add the tequila, lime juice, and agave over ice in a cocktail shaker or mason jar and shake well.2 ounces tequila, 1 ounce fresh lime juice, 2 teaspoons agave syrup
- Pour your margarita into the rimmed glass and top with soda water.Soda water
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.