Lemon Rosemary Chicken
This lemon rosemary chicken is a simple yet incredibly flavorful recipe for weeknights. It's bright, juicy, and tender chicken and it goes well with everything from potatoes to rice and vegetables of all kinds. It's easy to make and prepare ahead of time, and it's ready in just 55 minutes!
For more citrusy chicken recipes, try our lemon garlic chicken marinade, tangy lemon chicken, or lemon chicken orzo soup!
Table of contents
We can never get enough of baked chicken recipes so we're here sharing another weeknight favorite, this lemon rosemary chicken.
It's a bright and herby chicken dish that's big on flavor, quick to make, and easy to clean up. Does it get any better?
To make it, simply mix all the marinade ingredients together. Toss the chicken thighs in the marinade right in the baking dish, then bake it until it's cooked golden. Serve it with some minced parsley and lemon slices and dinner is ready.
To save time, you can easily prepare this dish up to a day ahead. Simply toss the chicken thighs in the marinade, then cover the baking dish and pop it in the fridge overnight. This gives the marinade lots of time to work its magic (just be sure not to leave it longer than 24 hours).
Enjoy this flavorful lemon rosemary roasted chicken on a bed of fluffy rice or mashed potatoes along with your favorite vegetable sides. The leftovers taste great in a grain bowl or stuffed into a sandwich the next day, too!
Lemon rosemary chicken ingredients
Given how insanely delicious this rosemary lemon chicken is, the list of ingredients is short. Here's everything you need to make it:
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice is always best for that bright citrus pop of flavor.
- Olive oil and melted butter – for making the marinade and keeping the chicken moist and juicy.
- Rosemary – we use fresh rosemary, but dried rosemary also works too.
- Sea salt + Garlic – for lots of flavor.
- Chicken thighs – we use bone-in chicken thighs, but you can use boneless thighs or chicken breasts if you prefer. Just be sure to refer to the notes in the recipe card for cooking times.
How to make lemon rosemary chicken
These lemon rosemary chicken thighs are a quick and tasty weeknight meal you can serve with just about anything. Here's how to make them in a few simple steps:
- While your oven preheats, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, melted butter, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic together.
- Arrange the chicken thighs in your baking dish, then pour the marinade overtop making sure all the parts are coated. Then, pop it into the oven to bake!
- Bake the chicken for a total of about an hour, flipping halfway through. It's done when it's cooked through and nicely browned.
- Sprinkle the cooked chicken with some fresh parsley and lemon slices to serve. Yum!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Butter adds a rich taste to the chicken but if you're avoiding dairy, use a dairy-free butter alternative, or just olive oil.
Yes, this is a great dish to prepare the night before. Simply toss the chicken with the marinade and place the baking dish into the fridge overnight (but not more than 24 hours). When you're ready, bake it as directed.
Store any leftover cooked chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What goes with lemon rosemary chicken?
The wonderful thing about this roasted lemon rosemary chicken is that it pairs beautifully with just about anything. From creamy mashed potatoes to fluffy basmati rice, and vegetable sides of all kinds, you really can't go wrong!
Vegetable sides that pair well with lemon rosemary chicken
Favorite baked chicken recipes
Lemon Rosemary Chicken
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons EACH: olive oil and melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ lb bone-in chicken thighs, see notes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. In a measuring cup or small bowl, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, melted butter, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic.¼ cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons EACH: olive oil and melted butter, 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper, 4 cloves garlic
- Place the chicken thighs into a baking dish and pour the sauce over the top. Mix the chicken around so that each piece is coated in the sauce. Arrange the chicken top side down then bake the chicken for 20 minutes.2 ½ lb bone-in chicken thighs
- Turn the chicken so that it is top side up then continue to bake it for another 30-40 minutes, until it is cooked through and golden brown.
- Serve the chicken with some minced parsley and lemon slices.
Amazing!!!! Thank you Chef Kristen
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a savory success! Turned out perfectly tender and juicy; easily, a new favorite recipe!
Love how easy this recipe is. It’s perfect for our family!
This tender, juicy and flavorful chicken makes a perfect meal on a weekday.
This recipe was so simple but soooo flavorful! The whole family loved it!