Lemon Garlic Chicken Marinade
This lemon garlic chicken marinade is super simple to make, healthy, and full of flavor. Simply marinate your favorite chicken in lemon juice, oil, garlic, and herbs then grill it, bake it, or freeze it for later!
Lemon garlic chicken marinade
This chicken has a tangy lemon flavor with just the right amount of garlic and lots of tasty herbs. It tastes bright and fresh and is delicious both grilled and baked. Bonus that it takes only minutes to make and is made with kitchen-staple ingredients so you can always have a healthy and tasty chicken dinner.
MEAL PREP TIP: We often keep a bag of lemon garlic marinated chicken in the freezer. The chicken will marinate as it thaws and be ready in time for an easy weeknight dinner.
How to make lemon garlic marinated chicken
Making this marinade is so simple!
- Mix some lemon juice, olive oil, herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper in a little bowl.
- Put the chicken into a shallow pan and pour the marinade over the top. Mix it around a little so the chicken is well-coated.
- OR … put the chicken into a reusable freezer bag (we love these large Stasher freezer bags) then pour the marinade into the bag.
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, either grill it or bake it.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Chicken – this marinade is delicious on chicken breast, chicken thighs (boneless and bone-in), wings, and chicken tenders.
Olive oil – use a basic cooking olive oil for this recipe. No need to pull out your best drizzling olive oil.
Herbs – we love fresh herbs, but dried work well, too. You can also substitute Italian seasoning.
Garlic – fresh is best and we like to mince it very small (or even grate it on a Microplane) so that the garlic flavor really comes out.
Lemon garlic chicken marinade FAQs
Chicken marinated for 6-8 hours will have the best flavor. But even a quick 30-minute marinade will do if you're short on time. Just don't marinate the chicken longer than 24 hours or the texture of the meat will change and start to get mushy.
Yes! We love these large Stasher freezer bags for freezing just about everything, including this chicken. Simply put the chicken into the bag, pour in the marinade, squish the bag around a little so the chicken is coated in the marinade, then put the bag into your freezer.
This marinade can be used to marinade all cuts of chicken. Simply choose your favorite and use that!
What to serve with lemon garlic marinated chicken
Popular chicken recipes
- Italian Dressing Chicken
- Perfect Baked Chicken Breasts
- Stovetop BBQ Chicken
- Pickle Brine Chicken
- Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
Lemon Garlic Chicken Marinade
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- ¼ cup lemon juice, (freshly squeezed for the best flavor)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons EACH: minced fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary, (or sub 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. chicken thighs or breast
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic into a small bowl.¼ cup lemon juice, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons EACH: minced fresh oregano, thyme, and rosemary, 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Place the chicken in a shallow bowl or baking dish and pour the marinade over the top. Mix it around a little so that all the pieces are coated in the marinade. Cover the bowl then put it into your fridge to marinate for 30 minutes – 24 hours.2 lbs. chicken thighs or breast
Cook the chicken
- Bake: Put the chicken and all of the marinade into a shallow baking dish. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, uncovered, for 15 minutes for boneless thighs, 20-25 minutes for breast, and 35-40 minutes for bone-in thighs.
- Grill: Remove the chicken from the marinade and grill over medium heat for 10 minutes for boneless thighs, 18-22 minutes for breast, and 30-35 minutes (over indirect heat) for bone-in thighs.
Optional: freeze the chicken
- Put the raw chicken into freezer bags then pour the marinade over the top. Squish the bag around a little so that the chicken is coated in the marinade then seal the bag and put it into your freezer.