This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This is the creamy cucumber salad recipe we've been making forever. It's the perfect balance of creamy and crunchy and it goes well with nearly every main dish. It's super simple to make and is always a hit!
Why we love this creamy cucumber salad
This cucumber salad has been on the menu for more than 30 years. Seriously. When I was a pre-teen, my family would ask me to make this salad for dinner. It was simple enough for 8-year-old me to make yet it disappeared fast from the dinner table.
- The combination of crunchy cucumber slices with a creamy dressing is classic.
- We add a generous helping of black pepper, which makes the salad.
- No sugar. Adding sweetener to cucumber salad (which is an ingredient in many recipes) will make it soggy and weirdly sweet.
- Two options … a lighter tangier version with yogurt and a little mayo or a dairy-free choice. Both are delicious!
READ MORE: Cucumber Tomato Salad
How to make cucumber salad
This is one of the easiest salad recipes. Here's how you'll make it:
- Slice an English cucumber and put the rounds into a bowl.
- Add your choice of yogurt or mayo, some diced red onion, a little salt, and lots of pepper.
- Now all you have to do is mix the cucumbers so that they are all coated in the creamy dressing. Easy!
Tips for making the best creamy cucumber salad
While this is a simple salad, we've learned a few tricks over the years to make it the best.
- Use an English cucumber. These are the long, thin cucumbers that don't need to be peeled. They are crunchier than field cucumbers and don't need to have their seeds removed. Mini cucumbers also work well.
- Try peeling a few long strips of the cucumber skin. When you slice it, there will be a pretty pattern along the edge of each cucumber round.
- Adding a little vinegar and lots of black pepper cuts the richness of the dressing.
How long does this salad last?
While it tastes best the same day that it's made, you can store it in your fridge for 4-5 days. The cucumber slices will go a little soft, but it will still be tasty.
This salad stays fresh tasting for many hours so it's a good choice to pack on a picnic or to take to a friend's potluck.
What to serve with cucumber salad
- 1 English cucumber (sliced into rounds)
- 3 tablespoons plain thick yogurt (can sub mayo for dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (can be light)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or 1 teaspoon white vinegar)
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Slice the cucumber and place the rounds into a medium-sized bowl.1 English cucumber
- Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat.3 tablespoons plain thick yogurt, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup minced red onion, ½ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.