Avocado Cucumber Salad
This delicious Avocado Cucumber Salad is the perfect healthy summer side dish recipe. It's super easy to make and has tons of flavor.
This Avocado Cucumber Salad was a favorite of mine for a long time. It's crazy easy to make and the crunchy cucumbers with the creamy avocados is a combo that's hard not to fall in love with.
The original recipe comes from Bon Appétit. I've adapted the recipe mostly by changing the process of how it is made and how it is served. I like to keep things simple so the recipe is altered to reflect that. I've made it the original way and my way both many times and my simple version tastes just as good as the original.
Here's to keeping life simple!
READ MORE: Creamy Cucumber Salad
Everything works about this salad: the crunchy but slightly softened cucumbers, the creamy avocados, the earthy cilantro, and the hint of spice that tingles your tongue.
That this salad can be made ahead of time and transports easily is a bonus. For some serious cuteness factor, put it in single-serving sized mason jars and pack it along for your picnic. Or make a giant bowl of it and bring it to a BBQ, or serve this perfect side dish at your own party.
What's up with pre-salting the cucumbers …
Making this cucumber and avocado salad requires you to do something called maceration, or so Bon Appétit says. It's basically tossing the cucumbers in a little salt and sugar then letting them sit at room temperature while some of the juice is drawn out of them.
The process softens the cucumber just a little and makes a sort of dressing for the salad. Yum!
If you make this Cucumber Avocado Salad make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.
Avocado Cucumber Salad
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- ¼ cup minced ginger
- 2 English cucumbers, quartered and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar, use coconut sugar for paleo, omit for Whole30
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 Thai red chili
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil
- Juice from ½ lime
- 2 avocados, diced
- ¼ cup EACH: basil leaves and cilantro, chopped
- Place the ginger, cucumbers, sea salt, sugar (if using), garlic, and red chili in a large salad bowl. Mix it around a little so that everything is mixed together. Set the bowl aside on your counter for a half-hour.¼ cup minced ginger, 2 English cucumbers, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 4 cloves garlic, 1 Thai red chili
- Add the celery, oil, and lime juice to the salad bowl and toss well. Season to taste with sea salt. Add the diced avocados, basil, and cilantro and gently toss once more.4 stalks celery, 1 tablespoon neutral-flavored oil, Juice from ½ lime, 2 avocados, ¼ cup EACH: basil leaves and cilantro
- Serve within a half hour.