BEST Bacon Sandwich with Caramelized Onions
If you're looking for the best bacon sandwich, look no further. Lightly pan-toasted bread, crispy slices of bacon, sweet caramelized onions, smoky chipotle mayo, thin slices of tomatoes, and a little arugula come together to make one irresistible sandwich.
This recipe was originally published in 2012. We've updated the post with some new photos, more information, and an easier-to-follow recipe. But the delicious sandwich remains exactly the same.
This is the kind of sandwich that makes you stop whatever you're doing and give it your full attention.
- It's a messy, gooey, don't-ever-eat-it-on-a-first-date kind of sandwich.
- And it's finger-licking, lip-smacking, I-don't-care-how-many-calories-are-in-here kind of delicious.
- Rich from the bacon, sweet from the caramelized onions, and spicy from the chipotles.
When you're finished eating it, you'll feel a pang of sadness and want more. Lots more.
This recipe was inspired by Simone's comment on our chipotle sea salt post about how she mixes chipotle peppers in mayonnaise. The bacon and caramelized onions seemed like the only logical things that belonged with chipotle mayonnaise on a sandwich.
Bacon – Use thick-cut bacon for the best sandwich.
Chipotle mayonnaise – We mix some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to make this. You can also look for some store-bought chipotle mayo.
Caramelized onions – These are best sauteed in some of the leftover bacon oil.
Bread – We like soft sandwich bread the best for this recipe. Sourdough is great, too.
Tomatoes – If tomatoes aren't in season either omit them or use cherry tomatoes.
Arugula – The slightly spicy bite works well in the recipe. You can also substitute another type of lettuce.
How to make a bacon sandwich
While there are many bacon sandwich recipes around, we truly believe ours is the best. Here's how to make it:
- Start by frying some thick slices of bacon in a pan until nice and crispy.
- Drain most of the bacon oil out of the pan (save it to use in another recipe!) then saute the onions in the bit of oil that is left.
- Mix some mayonnaise with chipotle peppers to make a smoky mayo.
- Lightly toast the bread – either in a toaster or (even better) in the pan you used to cook the bacon and onions.
- Now it's time to make the sandwich! Spread the chipotle mayo on the toast then top with crispy bacon, caramelized onions, slices of tomato, and a small handful of arugula.
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
Bacon sandwich ideas
The great thing about sandwiches is that they are incredibly versatile. Here are a few tasty variations to try:
- Bacon Egger – fry an egg and put it in the middle of this sandwich. Yum!
- Bacon Grilled Cheese Sandwich – start and finish the sandwich with a layer of cheddar cheese, butter the bread, then sear it in a pan until the bread is golden and cheese has melted.
- Avocado Bacon Sandwich – scoop a generous amount of guacamole on top of the bacon.
What goes good with bacon sandwiches?
While you can easily eat one of these bacon sandwiches and call it a meal, sometimes we like to add a side dish. Here are a few that go well together:
Popular sandwich recipes
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich with Crunchy Slaw
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon, Tomato, and Basil
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Spicy Mayo and Radishes
- Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter
Best Bacon Sandwich
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon adobo sauce, (see notes)
- 2 slices sandwich bread, gluten-free, if needed
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup arugula
- Cook the bacon in a medium-sized pan over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon oil.2 slices bacon
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes.½ medium onion
- While the onions are cooking, mix the mayonnaise and chipotle peppers in a small bowl.2 tablespoons mayonnaise, ½ teaspoon adobo sauce
- Remove the onions from the pan and put the bread into the pan. Let it toast for 1-2 minutes, until lightly golden.2 slices sandwich bread
- Spread the chipotle mayo on the toasted bread then top with the caramelized onions, crispy bacon, tomato slices, and arugula. Put the other slice of bread on top then serve right away.1 small tomato, ¼ cup arugula