Tomato Bacon Cheese Toast
How is it that the entire month of April nearly passed by without me knowing that April is Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month?
Now I don't have a TV, nor do I listen to the radio, but I am on the internet ALL THE TIME. You'd think I'd have heard about this.
There were signs. Like when Foodie.com emailed me about a contest they were holding for the best grilled cheese sandwich. (I submitted my Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter.) Or when grilled cheese sandwiches suddenly started popping up all over every food photo sharing site around. But it wasn't until Kevin's ridiculously yummy looking Sweet Chilli Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich over at Closet Cooking caught my attention that I suddenly realized what month it was. It's Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month, oh ya!
I felt a bit conflicted looking at all the ooey-gooey sandwiches around. I wanted to participate, but I'm supposed to be doing this “healthy thing.” And as good as Chickpea and Zucchini Fritters are, they're no grilled cheese sandwiches.
But wait! Growing up we always at grilled cheese sandwiches that were topped with tomatoes and onion and baked in the oven. It was obviously my mother's way to make something kid friendly also a little healthier. So here's my version and I'm calling it healthy. It does have three different vegetables, whole wheat bread and no butter, so I figure I'm allowed to call it healthy. But don't worry, this grilled cheese sandwich will satisfy all those ooey-gooey grilled cheese sandwich cravings you have.
Tomato Bacon Cheese Toast
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 8 strips bacon
- 4 slices whole wheat sourdough bread
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced
- 8 large basil leaves
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat until crispy, about 10 minutes.8 strips bacon
- Lay the slices of bread on a baking sheet and cover them with the slices of cheese. Break the cheese slices into smaller pieces so that all the bread is well-covered in cheese.4 slices whole wheat sourdough bread, 6 ounces cheddar cheese
- Top with crispy bacon, basil leaves, tomato slices, minced onion, salt, and pepper.8 large basil leaves, 8 slices tomatoes, 2 tablespoons minced onion, ¼ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Cut each piece of bacon cheese toast in half and serve right away.