Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
Bacon Kale Caesar Salad is the best way to eat lots of kale. This grain-free and paleo caesar includes crispy bacon and toasted cashews instead of croutons, which gives it crunch and tons of flavor. It's easy to make, healthy, and delicious!
I hope you can forgive me for sharing yet another kale salad recipe. This is (and I'm not exaggerating) the 10th kale salad recipe on this blog.
I know that kale is overdone and so last year, at least that's what all the super cool, super hip kids are saying these days. But how am I supposed to move on when I'm still so in love? I've always trailed a step behind the newest trends (and don't even get me started about the latest fashions) so I think it's only fitting that I keep kale in my repertoire a little longer than most.
And really, if something is this good (and good for me!), then I'm keeping it around even if it has fallen out of fashion.
I hope you'll join me as this kale caesar salad is insanely delicious. It even got a “this is really good!” from my handsome man who only eats kale reluctantly. Big time win!
I had my first kale caesar salad a few years back and instantly realized that there is no other way to eat a caesar salad. Seriously, once you go kale caesar you never go back. (Man that was bad. I'm a little embarrassed right now.)
Five reasons why you'll always want to make a kale caesar salad
- The curly leaves trap lots of the delicious dressing
- Because kale is a sturdy green it is actually better when the dressing sits on it for a few minutes. Read: it is great to make ahead and won't go soggy
- The crunchy/chewy kale and the creamy dressing were made for each other
- The mild bitterness of the kale (which I love!) adds a whole other dimension to a caesar salad
- The bacon seems to snuggle its way into the leaves rather than falling to the bottom of the bowl
What makes this kale caesar salad recipe extra special
I've tested this salad many times before landing on the absolute best kale caesar recipe. Here's why I think it's the best version
- The kale is chopped. Not only does this step make the salad easier to eat, it means more of the delicious dressing wraps itself around the kale.
- Toasted cashews. I know this is a bit of an oddball ingredient, but trust me that they make the salad. IMO they are WAY BETTER than dried up old croutons. And better for you, too.
- Easy homemade caesar dressing. I'd really encourage you to make your own mayonnaise. (And if you're squeamish about raw eggs, I've shared how to easily pasteurize them in the mayo post.) But if you're short on time, you can use store-bought mayo instead.
- Crispy bacon. Cause bacon makes everything better.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL’S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Favorite Kale Salad Recipes
- Creamy Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
- Sesame Coconut Kale Salad
- Roasted Beet and Kale Salad with Maple Candied Walnuts
- Sweet and Creamy Kale Waldorf Salad
- Baby Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Spicy Candied Pecans
- Crispy Kale Salad with Roasted Beets
- The Best Kale Salad
Bacon Kale Caesar Salad is the best way to eat lots of kale. This grain-free and paleo Caesar includes crispy bacon and toasted cashews instead of crouton, which gives it crunch and tons of flavor. It's easy to make, healthy, and delicious!
For the salad:
- 4 strips of bacon (sugar-free, if needed)
- 5 packed cups of kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup neutral-flavored mayo (homemade mayonnaise is best!)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh, please!)
- 1 tablespoon reserved bacon oil
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or 2 minced anchovies)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Slice the bacon into 1″ pieces and cook until crispy. Reserve the bacon oil.
- Whisk the Caesar dressing ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the kale, crispy bacon, cashews, and hemp hearts to a large salad bowl, pour the dressing over top, and toss well.