This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Move over french fries! Your favorite dishes have a new perfect pairing, and they go by the name of sweet potato fritters! These fritters have a crispy outside and soft center which makes the perfect bite every time. Pair them with our lemon yogurt sauce, and you're on cloud nine.
This sweet potato fritters recipe is super simple to make, in fact it's even kid-friendly if you want to involve them in the kitchen! Not the frying part, of course, but making the fritters they will absolutely enjoy!
These sweet potato fritters with lemon yogurt dipping sauce complement so many dishes such as salmon, burgers, and sandwiches. Even your breakfast will be tastier with these fritters on the table! With just 10 minutes of prep time and 30 minutes total time to make, you can serve them up on a weeknight or save them for weekend brunch, game day, backyard bbq, or a work potluck!
Ingredients for sweet potato fritters
For the fritters:
- Sweet potatoes: you'll need 2 medium sweet potatoes or ~1 lb. The sweet potatoes will add some natural sweetness to the dish, but it's balanced with the aged cheddar and green onion for a savory combo.
- Aged cheddar cheese: grate 1 cup of aged cheddar cheese to add a rich flavor and help achieve the soft insides of these fritters.
- Green onion: chopped green onion will provide freshness and cut some of the richness of the cheese and oil.
- Large eggs: these will act as a binder to keep the fritters together.
- Sea salt and black pepper: just ½ teaspoon of each, to taste.
- Oil: you can use any oil for frying, but a neutral taste and higher smoke points are always better. Some suggestions include vegetable oil, canola oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
**Tip: How much oil you use will depend on the type of pan you use. A cast-iron pan will give you the best results, but you will need to use more oil. A non-stick pan will give you less crispy fritters, but you will save some oil. The nutritional information for this sweet potato fritters recipe is calculated with 2 tablespoons of oil.
For the lemon yogurt dipping sauce:
- Plain Greek yogurt: This is the base of the sauce that has a tangy, protein-packed punch.
- Lemon: You'll need the zest from 1 lemon.
- Lemon juice: fresh lemon juice is best.
- Garlic clove: very finely mince your garlic for the sauce, as big chunks will throw off the consistency of the sauce (and won't taste very good either)
How to make sweet potato fritters
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: Peel and grate them using the large holes on your cheese grater. Put them into a large bowl and add the cheddar cheese and chopped green onions.
- Add the eggs: Whisk the eggs with sea salt and pepper and add them to the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Mix everything together well.
- Fry them up: Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a splash of oil. Take a handful of the sweet potatoes and form it into a fritter – don't worry if it doesn't stick together well.
Add more oil to the pan between batches. Fry the fritters in the hot pan for 3-4 minutes per side. Press the tops of the fritters down gently, so they stick together better, and adjust the heat if they start to get too brown.
- Make the dipping sauce: prepare the lemon yogurt sauce in a small bowl. Mix the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic and serve it with your sweet potato fritters.
- To keep the fritters warm, set the cooked patties on a baking sheet in your oven with your oven on to its lowest setting to keep them warm while you pan-fry the rest.
- If you don't like multi-tasking, you can form all the fritters ahead before you start pan-frying them. This will take longer, but will let you focus on cooking them.
- Don't try to make the fritters too big, they're better when they are about the size of a cookie.
Variations to try
- Adding other spices: You may want to experiment with adding some other spices or seasonings to your fritters, depending on the taste you're after. You can add garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, or cinnamon. It really depends on the flavor you wish to achieve.
- Fresh herbs: dill or ginger are nice additions to these fritters.
- Cheese: crumbled feta cheese makes for an excellent garnish!
What to serve with sweet potato fritters
It's worth mentioning again, these fritters pair so well with many dishes. Basically, anything you would have french fries or hash browns with you can substitute for these awesome sweet potato fritters. Here are some options that would be delish!
Tasty dips for these fritters
If you want to switch up the dipping sauce or want a sauce that complements the rest of the meal you're serving with these sweet potato fritters, here are some wonderful alternatives:
Can I make sweet potato fritters ahead of time?
You can prepare the shredded sweet potato and cheese as well as chopped onion ahead of time, although it's best to keep in separate bowls until ready to combine and cook. Frying ahead of time is not recommended, as they are best served fresh and crispy!
Can I freeze sweet potato fritters?
You can freeze sweet potato fritters! Once they're cooled, place them in a bag or airtight container, putting parchment paper between them. They will keep for 2-3 months in the freezer. To thaw, you can do so at room temperature before reheating then in a pan or in the oven.
Do you have any other fritter recipes?
Yes! You can also try our chickpea pumpkin fritters!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped green onion (plus a few extra for garnish)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Oil (for frying (see notes))
The lemon yogurt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 small garlic clove (very finely minced)
- Peel the sweet potatoes then grate them using the large holes on your cheese grater. Put them in a large bowl and add the cheddar cheese and chopped green onions.2 medium sweet potatoes, 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese, ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Whisk the eggs with sea salt and pepper and add them to the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Mix everything together well.2 large eggs, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, add a splash of oil. Take a handful of the sweet potatoes and form it into a fritter – don't worry if it doesn't stick together well. Working in batches, and adding more oil to the pan between batches, fry the fritters in the hot pan for 3-4 minutes per side. Press the tops of the fritters down gently, so they stick together better and adjust the heat if they start to get too brown. Set the cooked patties on a baking sheet in your oven with your oven on to its lowest setting to keep them warm while you pan-fry the rest.
- While the sweet potato fritters are cooking, prepare the lemon yogurt. In a small bowl mix the yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic.½ cup plain Greek yogurt, Zest from 1 lemon, 1 small garlic clove, 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Serve the sweet potato fritters with the lemon yogurt and some sliced green onions over top.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.