This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Blue cheese dressing is incredibly easy to make and so much better than anything store-bought. It's creamy, tangy, and as chunky or smooth as you'd like. Toss it with some crunchy salad greens or serve it as a dip, either way, it's delicious!
How to make blue cheese dressing
This salad dressing recipe is incredibly simple to make. Are you ready for it?
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
And just like that, you've made it!
The dressing is nice and thick with just the right amount of blue cheese flavor. If you'd like it a little thinner (which can be nice when using it as a salad dressing instead of a dip) you can add a small splash of water.
We find that it is best if you let it sit for about 30 minutes after you make it. The flavors will meld together and become even more delicious. If you're feeling impatient (as we often are), then you can go ahead and use it right away.
Is blue cheese dressing keto/healthy?
We make our blue cheese dressing with mostly yogurt and some mayo it's definitely a healthier version.
Concerned about carbs in blue cheese dressing?
Don't be! There is less than 1 gram of carbs per 2 tablespoon serving. 0.7 net grams, to be exact. This is a great recipe to make if you're eating low carb or keto.
Is this a blue cheese dip?
How long does homemade blue cheese dressing last?
This dressing will keep in your fridge for 5-7 days. If you notice a funny smell or a slightly pink color then it is time to toss it.
What type of blue cheese is best?
There is no right or wrong answer here. Your best bet is to use a blue cheese that you know you love. If you're unsure, choose a danish blue or gorgonzola for a mild blue cheese flavor. Or opt for a stilton or roquefort if you love blue and want a more robust flavor.
What to serve with this dressing
This creamy dressing begs to be with something crunchy. Think blue cheese coleslaw or crisp greens like romaine hearts or iceberg lettuce. We tend to stear clear of delicate greens (like arugula) as this heavier dressing will weigh them down.
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 2 tablespoons milk, buttermilk, or water (to thin the dressing)
- Mix the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.½ cup yogurt, ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon pepper
- If you'd like a thinner dressing, mix in the milk, buttermilk, or water.Optional: 2 tablespoons milk, buttermilk, or water (to thin the dressing)
- While you can use this dressing right away, the flavor is better if you let it rest in your fridge for 30 minutes.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.