Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue cheese dressing is incredibly easy to make and so much better than anything store-bought. It's creamy, tangy, and as chunky or smooth as you'd like. Toss it with some crunchy salad greens or serve it as a dip, either way, it's delicious!
Try this blue cheese dressing with some baked sriracha buffalo wings, cajun sweet potato fries, or on our grilled buffalo chicken salad.
How to make blue cheese dressing
This salad dressing recipe is incredibly simple to make. Are you ready for it?
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl.
And just like that, you've made it!
The dressing is nice and thick with just the right amount of blue cheese flavor. If you'd like it a little thinner (which can be nice when using it as a salad dressing instead of a dip) you can add a small splash of water.
We find that it is best if you let it sit for about 30 minutes after you make it. The flavors will meld together and become even more delicious. If you're feeling impatient (as we often are), then you can go ahead and use it right away.
Is blue cheese dressing keto/healthy?
We make our blue cheese dressing with mostly yogurt and some mayo it's definitely a healthier version.
Concerned about carbs in blue cheese dressing?
Don't be! There is less than 1 gram of carbs per 2 tablespoon serving. 0.7 net grams, to be exact. This is a great recipe to make if you're eating low carb or keto.
Is this a blue cheese dip?
It sure can be! It's beautifully thick and perfect for dipping those buffalo wings. Or try it with our Cajun sweet potato fries; it's delicious.
How long does homemade blue cheese dressing last?
This dressing will keep in your fridge for 5-7 days. If you notice a funny smell or a slightly pink color then it is time to toss it.
What type of blue cheese is best?
There is no right or wrong answer here. Your best bet is to use a blue cheese that you know you love. If you're unsure, choose a danish blue or gorgonzola for a mild blue cheese flavor. Or opt for a stilton or roquefort if you love blue and want a more robust flavor.
What to serve with this dressing
This creamy dressing begs to be with something crunchy. Think blue cheese coleslaw or crisp greens like romaine hearts or iceberg lettuce. We tend to stear clear of delicate greens (like arugula) as this heavier dressing will weigh them down.
Once you have your blue cheese salad sorted, make some juicy baked pork chops or crispy baked chicken thighs and some parmesan corn on the cob and dinner is set!
Popular salad dressing recipes
- Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
- BEST Kale Salad Dressing
- Creamy Lemon Buttermilk Dressing
- Lifesaving Lemony Salad Dressing
- Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Lemon Tahini Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- ½ cup yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 2 tablespoons milk, buttermilk, or water (to thin the dressing)
- Mix the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.½ cup yogurt, ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon pepper
- If you'd like a thinner dressing, mix in the milk, buttermilk, or water.Optional: 2 tablespoons milk, buttermilk, or water (to thin the dressing)
- While you can use this dressing right away, the flavor is better if you let it rest in your fridge for 30 minutes.
I am going to try this. Looks so good! Is that purple onion I see in the first pic (before it was mixed)? I didn’t see onion in the recipe. I love everyone of your recipes I have tried so far ❤️
I’m sorry about that! We use 1 tablespoon of finely minced red onion. It’s in there now. 🙂
This was so good! I served it with iceburg lettuce and some chopped tomatoes and it was perfect.