This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here's an easy-to-make lemon salad dressing that's bright and bursting with fresh lemon flavor. Use it to dress up a simple green salad, as a marinade for chicken or fish, or drizzled over your favorite roasted veggies. This versatile lemon vinaigrette uses mostly pantry ingredients, and is ready in just a few shakes!
This recipe was originally published in 2015. We've updated the post with some new photos and more information, but we've left the delicious recipe the same.
This is one of our favorite homemade dressings because it's tasty, versatile, easy to make, and leftovers store well in the fridge. It will brighten up anything you drizzle it on from green or grain salads, to roasted veggies, chicken and fish dishes, and more.
You'll find this zippy lemon vinaigrette is perfectly balanced with the sweetness of honey and bold depth of flavor from dijon mustard and garlic. Shake it up and store it in your fridge for a delicious dressing you can use all week long!
How to make lemon salad dressing
This versatile lemon vinaigrette recipe is easy to make by following just two simple steps:
- Add all the ingredients to a 2-cup mason jar. Make sure to tighten the lid.
- Shake it vigorously for about a minute until it looks creamy. That's it!
Any unused dressing will store well in the fridge for up to 10 days. Give it another good shake before using.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Here's everything you'll need to make this delicious homemade lemon vinaigrette:
- Lemons – fresh is best for all the bright flavor!
- Avocado oil – this neutral-tasting oil makes a great base for dressings. Bonus that it doesn't harden in the fridge like olive oil!
- White vinegar – adds some slightly sweet acidity to balance the lemon.
- Honey – rounds out the tart flavors with a mild sweetness.
- Dijon mustard – for a bold depth of flavor.
- Garlic – the garlic adds its kick.
- Minced chives – herbs make everything better, and here they add a bit of complexity.
Lemon Salad Dressing: FAQS
How long does it keep in the fridge?
Store this lemon salad dressing in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to a week!
Can I use a different type of vinegar?
Yes, apple cider vinegar works especially well in its place, or just more lemon juice.
Can I use a different type of sweetener?
We recommend pure maple syrup as an alternative to honey.
When to use this lemon vinaigrette
This lemon salad dressing will brighten up simple greens (like our spring mix salad), but there are so many delicious ways to use up this lemon salad dressing. Here are our favorites:
- Drizzled over roasted veggies like asparagus, broccoli, green beans, or brussels sprouts.
- As a marinade for chicken or fish. Try it in place of the Italian dressing in our Italian dressing chicken!
- Use it in place of any of the salad dressings in these recipes:
- Salads with tender leaves like spring mix or arugula, or massaged into heartier greens like kale.
Popular salad dressing recipes
- Lemon Orange Salad Dressing
- Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- Creamy Sunflower Seed Dressing
- Best Kale Salad Dressing
- Japanese Carrot Ginger Salad Dressing
- 2 lemons (about ½ cup lemon juice )
- ½ cup avocado oil (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon minced chives (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a 2-cup mason jar.2 lemons, ½ cup avocado oil, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 clove garlic, 1 teaspoon minced chives
- Shake it until the dressing begins to look creamy, about 1 minute. Store the dressing in the jar in your fridge for up to 10 days.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.