Best Roasted Broccoli
Roasted broccoli is the best broccoli ever. It's a super easy to make side dish recipe that goes well with so many meals. This basic, oven roasted broccoli is tender in the middle and has lots of incredible crispy bits. It's irresistible!
This roasted broccoli recipe is a staple side dish recipe that you'll want to keep in your back pocket for easy mealtimes.
Why we love roasted broccoli
- After spending a half hour in your oven, the tops of the broccoli turn crispy and their flavor is slightly nutty and totally amazing.
- That crispiness contrasts perfectly with the soft broccoli stems.
- They're ridiculously easy to prep which means that you can focus on cooking the rest of the meal rather than fussing over the side dish.
- It's a versatile recipe. Most often, we season the broccoli simply with oil, salt, and pepper. But adding other spices (and there are plenty of ideas in the recipe below) keeps this recipe fresh and new.
How to roast broccoli
Making roasted broccoli is very simple, but there are a few things you'll want to know when making this recipe.
- Oil is what makes the crispy tops taste the best. It's why we use a generous amount of oil in this recipe. And it's also why we mix the broccoli and oil together in a bowl, rather than on the baking sheet. You want to make sure that the broccoli tops are completely covered in oil. When they are, they'll turn a darker green color.
- Use a large baking sheet. You want the broccoli to have lots of room on the pan so that it roasts rather than steams. If you only have smaller baking sheets, divide the broccoli between two rather than squishing it all into one.
- Make sure there are lots of brown spots on the broccoli. The more brown spots, the more flavor the broccoli will have. The biggest mistake I see when people make roasted broccoli is that they take it out of the oven too soon. Leave it in longer than you think you should and the broccoli will taste amazing.
How long to roast broccoli
When roasting broccoli at 425 degrees Fahrenheit you'll need to cook it for at least 30 minutes. I recommend flipping each piece over at the 20 minute mark so that it browns better on both sides.
Roasted broccoli variations
The basic roasted broccoli recipe calls for oil, salt, and pepper. It's amazing how much flavor you get from those three simple ingredients. But it's fun to switch things up. Here are some other spices that go well with roasted broccoli:
- Italian seasoning + chili flakes
- Pesto – before going into the oven
- Curry powder + raisins + almonds
- Parmesan cheese + lemon zest
- Garlic powder + cayenne pepper
- Sesame oil + grated ginger + lime juice
What to serve with oven roasted broccoli
Keep dinner simple by serving this broccoli with an easy to make protein. Then add some Greek Lemon Potatoes, Smoky Roast Potatoes, or some basmati rice if you're feeling extra hungry. Here are our favorite mains to serve with this broccoli:
- Green Goddess Chicken
- Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Juicy Baked Pork Chops
- Perfect Poached Fish
Subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More broccoli recipes
- Roasted Broccoli Salad with Lemons and Almonds
- Boiled Broccoli
- Roasted Broccoli Steaks with Butter Toasted Pine Nuts
- Grilled Broccoli Caesar Salad
- Broccoli and Kale Salad with Blueberries and Coconut
- Roasted Broccoli Soup with Lemon Tahini Cream
- Classic Broccoli Coleslaw with Lemon Buttermilk Dressing
- Instant Pot Broccoli
Roasted Broccoli Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 ½ lb broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon each: salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning + ⅛ teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- ½ teaspoon curry powder, + a small handful of raisins and almonds once the broccoli is cooked
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese + zest from 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder + a pinch of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil + 1 teaspoon grated ginger, + a squeeze of lime juice once the broccoli is cooked
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the broccoli in a bowl and add the olive oil, salt, pepper, and if using, any of the optional seasonings. Toss the broccoli well so that it is well coated in the oil. Transfer the broccoli to a large baking sheet. (see notes.)1 ½ lb broccoli, 2 tablespoons olive oil, ¼ teaspoon each: salt and pepper
- Roast the broccoli for 20 minutes. Turn the broccoli pieces over on the baking sheet then continue to roast for another 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is well browned and crispy at the ends.
Accidentally added too much salt but fixed it by turning it into the lemon and parmesan variation! Super delicious! thank you for sharing 🙂
Any substitute for pesto? Also can this be made ahead and reheated ?
No pesto in this recipe. 🙂 The broccoli is best served fresh but it ok warmed up for leftovers the next day, too.
You’re right, this is the best broccoli! Even my kids went back for seconds. I’ll never steam broccoli again!
Hooray! I’m so happy to hear you like the recipe!