This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This broccoli kale salad is our summertime favorite. The greens are dressed in a sweet coconut salad dressing and tossed with fresh blueberries, crunchy almonds, and a little coconut. It's delicious!
Earlier this week, I found myself searching through the depths of my fridge looking for things to throw together for a late evening picnic. There was some leftover Mexican corn (which I promise to share the recipe with you really really soon) and some smoked salmon, a bunch of broccoli, kale, and blueberries. Well, actually there were no blueberries. That night I threw in some handfuls of dried cranberries; the blueberries came the next day when I made this for the second time.
Ever since I was first introduced to the idea of eating kale in salads, (like this Baby Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Spicy Candied Pecans) as opposed to eating it steamed or sautéed to a generally icky mess, I have totally fallen in love. This is more than just a crush. Seriously, I could eat kale salad every day.
READ MORE: Sweet and Spicy Sautéed Kale Stems
And broccoli stems … ya, I know they seem boring and I bet you usually chop them off and toss them into the garbage, right? Don't feel bad, I used to do that, too. Next time you're making a salad (like this one!) try chopping them up and adding them to the mix. They'll add a lot of crunch, kind of like celery.
The coconut oil is key to this salad. It adds an unexpected and summery flavor to an otherwise simple salad. There is a fair bit of sweetness in this salad, which helps balance the bitterness of the kale and broccoli. I think any of summer's fresh berries would work well if you don't have blueberries.
- ¼ cup coconut oil (melted)
- ¼ cup honey (can sub maple syrup)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 bunch kale (washed well)
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.¼ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, 1 clove garlic, ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Chop the broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Also chop the broccoli stems into ¼ inch pieces.2 heads broccoli
- Remove the tough inner rib from the kale leaves. Chop the kale leaves into small pieces.1 bunch kale
- Combine the broccoli, kale, coconut, sliced almonds and blueberries in a large bow. Add the dressing and toss to coat.⅓ cup shredded coconut, ½ cup sliced almonds, 1 cup fresh blueberries
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.