Kale Apple Salad
Kale apple salad is one of our favorite kale salad recipes. The kale is softened with a sweet salad dressing and then mixed with crunchy apples, toasted almonds, and cheddar cheese. It's delicious!
How to make this kale apple salad recipe
This simple kale salad recipe is unbelievably delicious. Here's the quick rundown on how you're going to make it:
- Put the salad dressing ingredients into a jar and shake shake shake.
- Toss the kale with the dressing and let it rest for a few minutes. It will soften as it sits.
- Now add the chopped apple, almonds, and cheddar cheese and mix once more before serving.
FULL INGREDIENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS LISTED IN THE RECIPE CARD.
What to serve with kale apple salad
This simple salad is versatile and goes well with so many main course recipes. Here are a few of our favorites:
Tips for making the best kale salad
- Curly kale tends to be the most tender, use it if it's available.
- Remove both the inner stem and also the smaller and tough ribs that the leaves grow around.
- Chop the kale leaves so that they are small enough to get several pieces on your fork (and in your mouth) at the same time.
- Let the dressing sit on the leaves for at least 5 minutes before serving. We used to massage kale, but that was messy and time-consuming. Letting the dressing sit on the kale leaves accomplishes the same goal.
- Always opt for a sweeter dressing, like the one in this recipe. Kale is quite bitter and can handle being sweetened up.
READ MORE: Sweet and Spicy Sautéed Kale Stems
Can I make substitutions?
Yes! Here are a few ideas:
- Instead of almonds: use pecans, walnuts, or hazelnuts.
- Instead of apples: use pears.
- Instead of cheddar: use blue cheese, feta, boursin, or diced havarti.
Does kale and apple salad keep?
This salad is best eaten within about 15 minutes after you add the dressing. But kale is one of the few (or only) lettuces that keeps ok after dressed. Any leftovers we'll eat for lunch the next day. It's not as good as fresh but definitely worth keeping.
Watch the kale and apple salad video
Best kale salad recipes
- Bacon Kale Caesar Salad
- Crispy Kale Salad with Roasted Beets
- Sesame Coconut Kale Salad
- Roasted Beet and Kale Salad with Maple Candied Walnuts
- Creamy Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
- Sweet and Creamy Kale Waldorf Salad
Kale Apple Salad
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 ½ cups well-packed kale leaves
- ½ cup diced cheddar cheese
- ½ cup toasted chopped almonds, slivered or sliced work, too
- 1 large apple, diced
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup honey, can sub maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- A pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the dressing ingredients into a 2-cup mason jar and shake well.⅓ cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup honey, 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 cloves garlic, A pinch of sea salt, ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add the kale to a large salad bowl, pour the dressing over top and mix well. Let the kale sit for 5 minutes to soften.2 ½ cups well-packed kale leaves
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix together.½ cup diced cheddar cheese, ½ cup toasted chopped almonds, 1 large apple