Sesame Coconut Kale Salad
This Sesame Coconut Kale Salad has become our go to winter salad recipe. It's made with crispy kale AND raw kale and dotted with sesame, toasted coconut, and mandarines. The dressing is light and crisp with hints of Asian sesame oil.
I feel like this week needs a little brightening up, and I've got just the thing to do it. I've made us a coconut kale salad with a light sesame dressing and sweet winter mandarins. Let's share a bowl and forget about the rainy winter blues.
Here in Vancouver, winter equals rain. That's usually a good thing … no driveways to shovel, no car windows to brush off, no below freezing temperatures … I like all those things. But sometimes, when the rain hasn't stopped drumming the balcony railing for days and I start thinking I might have to build a sailboat so I don't float away (Seattle – Portland – I know you know what I mean!) I start begging for a respite. Just a little sunshine, pleeeeese?!
If I show up at your door with a bottle of wine, a big bowl of this coconut kale salad, and a bag of cookies, you know I'll be crashing on your couch till the sun pokes its head out again. Hope you don't mind.
This coconut kale salad is a special one. I've used a trick I picked up years ago to use crispy kale in a salad. It's truly amazing.
I served a version of this salad so many times, and every time people rave about it. Now I take the raw/crispy kale combo and use it in other kale salad recipes.
In this recipe, I've combined the crispy and raw kale with toasted coconut, sesame seeds, and mandarin oranges. It's tossed in a light and tangy Asian-inspired salad dressing made with a hint of sesame oil. Even though this is a winter salad, it feels bright enough to bring back memories of summer BBQs.
More kale salad recipes:
- Sweet and Creamy Kale Waldorf Salad
- Baby Kale Salad with Pomegranate Seeds and Spicy Candied Pecans
- The Best Kale Salad with Caramelized Onions, Bacon, and Pecans
- Roasted Beet and Kale Salad with Maple Candied Walnuts
- Broccoli and Kale Salad with Blueberries and Coconut
- Sesame Chicken Salad
Sesame Coconut Kale Salad
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 large bunch of kale- divided, stem removed and torn into bite-sized pieces (about 5 packed cups)
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut, I like to use ribbon coconut, but shredded works, too
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon each: maple syrup and grapeseed oil, or other neutral-flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss a little over half of the kale with the sesame oil and place it on the baking sheet in a mostly single layer. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes, then remove the pan from the oven and push the kale to one side, keeping the single layer. Add the coconut to the tray and place it back in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until the coconut is lightly browned and the kale is crispy.1 teaspoon sesame seed oil, ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- While the kale and coconut are in the oven, whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large bowl.1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon each: maple syrup and grapeseed oil, 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Add the raw kale, mandarin orange segments, and sesame seeds to the bowl and toss with the dressing. When the kale and coconut come out of the oven, add them to the bowl and toss gently.2 mandarin oranges, 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds