This fragrant and fluffy ginger rice will spice up any meal. It's a versatile recipe that uses mostly pantry ingredients, and it's ready in under 20 minutes!
This ginger rice is very easy to make, it's flavorful, and it turns out perfect every time. All you need is a saucepan with a lid (no fancy rice cooker required). Who knew you could make such delicious rice with so little effort?
Ginger rice ingredients
It takes just a few simple ingredients to make ginger rice. Here's what you'll need:
- Butter – you can substitute for olive oil if you avoid dairy, or if that's what you have on hand.
- Ginger and garlic – this potent combination makes amazingly flavorful rice!
- Stock – chicken or vegetable stock both work great.
- Basmati rice – this versatile rice is fluffy and delicious.
- Sea salt – to enhance all the flavors.
- Green onions – for a pop of green and mild green onion flavor.
How to make ginger rice
It's easy to make this ginger rice recipe by following a few simple steps:
- This recipe starts by melting the butter in a pot and cooking the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Next, add the stock, rice, and salt to the pot and bring it to a boil. Give it all a stir, and cook it on low for about 12 minutes. Let it rest, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- That's it! Serve the ginger rice topped with green onions.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Definitely, but cooking times will vary so be sure to check out the directions on the packaging.
Yes! Cooked rice freezes very well. Let it cool completely then store it in freezer-safe containers for up to three months. We love these reusable Stasher freezer bags to store just about everything in our freezer, including this garlic butter rice.
Ideas for serving ginger rice
This rice is super versatile and the perfect pairing for Asian and Indian-inspired meals like curries, stir-fries, or meat and vegetable mains.
We love it with our creamy coconut lentil curry, mango chicken curry, salt and pepper fish, or sweet hoisin meatballs to name a few. If you love ginger, you can't go wrong with this savory ginger rice!
Favorite rice recipes
- Favorite Coconut Rice
- Garlic Butter Rice
- Golden Turmeric Rice
- Spicy Mexican Rice
- How to Cook Basmati Rice
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon butter , can sub oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Chopped green onions, to serve
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.1 tablespoon butter, 2 tablespoons minced ginger, 1 clove garlic
- Add the stock, rice, and salt to the pot and bring it to a boil. Stir the rice then cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice for 12 minutes then remove the pot from the heat and let it rest, covered, for 10 minutes.1 ½ cups stock, 1 cup basmati rice, 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Serve the ginger rice topped with green onions.Chopped green onions