Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
Stop right there, this Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad is about to change your life. I know that probably sounds a little drastic and over the top, but let me explain.
→ Roasted Brussels are one of the best things in the world.
→ A properly made Caesar salad dressing is also one of the best things in the world.
→ Combine these two into a roasted Brussels sprouts caesar salad and you have a life-changing salad experience waiting to happen.
Can you tell that I'm head over heels in love with this salad? I've tried a few different versions of it before I found the “The One.” That almost sounds like I went a little slutty with salads, but it was worth it. 🙂
What makes this Brussels sprouts caesar salad extra special is that it's made with both roasted and raw, shaved Brussels. The combination of the two is what's killer.
And then there's the salad dressing. Oh man, do I ever love a good caesar salad dressing. This is the one I've been making for years. It's creamy, salty and garlicky … just the way caesar salad dressing should be.
Warning: this dressing is made with egg yolks. But hey, if you ever see a recipe for caesar salad dressing without egg yolks my advice is to run away as quickly as possible. Seriously, it would be like making aioli without eggs. It should never be done.
If you can't wrap your head around eating raw eggs (or you're pregnant or serving this to someone with a compromised immune system) you can pasteurize them easily at home.
Here's how to pasteurize eggs at home
- Put the eggs in a pot of water over medium-high heat. Attach a thermometer to the side of the pot.
- Bring the water to 140 degrees Fahrenheit and keep it there for 3 minutes. Do NOT let the water rise above 143 degrees, or you will cook your egg yolks.
- Drain the water and cool the eggs in cold water.
That's it! When you crack them open the whites will be a little murky looking since they will have started to cook, but the yolks will be ready to use.
If you make this Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!Print
If there's one thing better than roasted Brussels it's Roasted Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad that's topped with crispy, cheesy chickpeas. You will LOVE it!
- 1.5 lb Brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and dried well
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- A good pinch of sea salt
For the dressing:
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature (see post about how to easily pasteurize an egg yolk at home)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, chopped to a paste
- 2 garlic cloves, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Toss the chickpeas with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and sea salt and place them on one of the prepared baking sheets. Roast them in the oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are mostly dry. They will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.
- Cut half the Brussels sprouts in half. Shave the rest of the Brussels by cutting them in half, laying the flat sides down, and then thinly slicing them. Set aside 1 cup of the shaved Brussels. Add all the Brussels, except the ones you've set aside, to the other prepared tray, drizzle them with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle the sea salt top. Use your hands to mix the Brussels around so that each piece is covered in oil. Bake the Brussels for 25 minutes, mixing halfway. Don't wait for the chickpeas to come out of the oven. Bake the Brussels and the chickpeas at the same time.
- While the chickpeas and Brussels are cooking, prepare the dressing. Add the egg yolk to a medium sized bowl with the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, anchovies and garlic. Whisk in the oil very slowly, starting with just a few drops at a time, until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Stir in the parmesan cheese and season with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste.
- To assemble the roasted Brussels sprouts caesar salad, combine the roasted chickpeas and Brussels, the shaved Brussels you've set aside and toss with the dressing. Serve with extra lemon slices and a little extra parmesan on top.