Chicken Taco Soup
This creamy chicken taco soup is easy to make and super flavorful. It's full of tender chicken, sweet corn, black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, and the most delicious creamy broth.
Chicken taco soup
This is one dreamy soup recipe. It's full of tender, shredded chicken, sweet corn, black beans, and fire-roasted tomatoes.
And the flavorful broth is really incredible thanks to poaching the chicken breasts in the stock, those amazing fire-roasted tomatoes, and some delicious cream cheese.
It all comes together to make a soup you'll be dreaming of for days!
How to make this chicken taco soup recipe
From start to finish this creamy chicken taco soup will take you about 25 minutes to make. Here's what you're going to do:
- Start by sautéing the onion, garlic, and bell pepper then season the veggies with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the stock, fire-roasted tomatoes, and chicken breasts then simmer until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Now take the chicken out and put the cream cheese in. (This gives the cream cheese some time to soften so it's easier to mix into the soup.)
- Shred or dice the cooked chicken then add it back into the pot with some corn and beans and dinner is ready!
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
Variations to try
- Switch up the beans. White beans or kidney beans work great, too.
- Use ground chicken and cook it with the onion and garlic.
- Make it spicy by adding chili flakes.
- Omit the cream cheese for a non-creamy version.
- Or make it extra creamy by adding a cup of grated cheddar cheese.
- Use leftover cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken.
Favorite chicken taco soup toppings
We're big fans of adding toppings to soup; it just makes dinner more fun. Here are a few of our favorites that go great with this soup:
- Sour cream (works to dial down the heat)
- A little lime juice
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced jalapeños
Can I freeze chicken taco soup?
Yes! This soup freezes very well. Let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe bags. We've found that the best way to store soup is in these reusable Stasher freezer bags.
What to serve with chicken taco soup
While chicken taco soup doesn't need any sides, you can definitely serve it as a part of a bigger meal. Here are a few options for a big Tex-Mex spread:
- Easy Guacamole with corn chips
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Loaded Mexican Food Truck Nacho Fries
- Sweet Potato Nachos
- Spicy Mexican Rice
And don't forget to make yourself a fizzy lime margarita!
Popular soup recipes
- Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas Soup)
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Hamburger Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Chicken Taco Soup
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, use our homemade taco seasoning for the best flavor!
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Toppings: cilantro, avocado, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and/or lime juice
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pepper and cook until the veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 medium red bell pepper
- Add the taco seasoning, salt, and pepper and stir them into the veggies. Add the chicken stock, fire-roasted tomatoes, and chicken breasts and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.3 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper, 6 cups chicken stock, 28 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes, 2 large chicken breasts
- Remove the chicken from the pot then add the cream cheese. Shred the chicken using 2 forks (or dice it, if you prefer.) Add the shredded chicken to the pot then stir until the cream cheese melts into the broth.8 ounces cream cheese
- Add the corn and black beans and let them warm. Serve the soup topped with any or all of the toppings.2 cups frozen corn, 15 ounce can black beans, Toppings: cilantro, avocado, cheddar cheese, tortilla chips, and/or lime juice