This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This taco soup is a quick, easy to make, and delicious recipe made with kitchen staple ingredients. It's full of lean ground beef, taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, and corn. You'll love it!
Complete the meal with a side of no yeast bread with herbs and cheese for dunking in the soup!
What is taco soup?
Taco soup is a delicious recipe with big-time Tex-Mex flavors. Lean ground beef is cooked with onions, garlic, and bell peppers then seasoned with our favorite taco seasoning. A flavorful tomato-based broth, beans, and corn round out the meal.
This taco soup is a variation of our popular chicken taco soup. Make sure you try that one, too!
We like to top ours with some diced avocado, a little cheddar cheese, and when we're feeling bold, some spicy tortilla chips.
Is this an easy taco soup recipe?
Oh heck yes! This taco soup recipe is just about as easy as a recipe can get. In a breezy 25 minutes, you can have dinner on the table.
How to make taco soup
This quick and easy soup recipe is so simple to make!
- Cook some ground beef then add onion, garlic, and pepper and cook it a little more.
- Now season the beef with taco seasoning.
- Add some canned diced tomatoes, stock, and beans to the pot and simmer the soup for 5 minutes.
- Stir the corn into the soup at the very end and you're done!
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
Taco soup ingredients
This soup recipe is very flexible and you can easily add more or less of what you want.
- Ground beef – Lean is the best here. If you use regular ground beef, you may want to drain some of the fat out of the pot before cooking the rest of the recipe.
- Onion, bell pepper, and garlic – So much flavor!
- Jalapeño – if you like it spicy.
- Taco seasoning. We use our homemade taco seasoning. Fajita seasoning will work, too.
- Chicken stock. Or sub beef stock if that's what you have on hand. Bone broth will give you the most flavorful soup.
- Beans – we like black beans and pinto beans. Kidney beans are nice, too.
- Frozen corn. This is our favorite part.
Make this a creamy taco soup
If you want this to be a creamy taco soup, simply add the optional cream cheese that is listed in the recipe. That's it!
While it's not a super creamy soup, it does add a little something special. If you have some cream cheese on hand, go for it and put it into the soup!
How long does this soup last?
This soup will keep well for at least 4 days in your fridge. Leftovers taste even better the next day!
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes! This soup freezes very well. We've found that the best way to store soup is in these reusable Stasher freezer bags.
What to serve with taco soup
Taco soup is easily a meal in itself. It's rich and hearty and will definitely fill you up. But we sometimes like adding a few sides, especially some more veggies. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Lightened Up Mexican Corn Dip
- Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Loaded Food Truck Mexican Nacho Fries
And don't forget to make yourself a lime margarita!
Popular soup recipes
- Hamburger Soup
- Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas Soup)
- Creamy Avocado Soup
- BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion (minced)
- 1 medium bell pepper (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- Optional: 1 minced jalapeño (if you want it spicy)
- 6 tablespoons taco seasoning (we love using our homemade taco seasoning)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 15 ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15 ounce can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- Optional: 4-ounces cream cheese
- Optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, lime juice, diced avocado
- Add the ground beef to a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook the beef until most of the pink is gone, about 7 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and (if using) the jalapeño and cook until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.1 lb lean ground beef, 1 medium onion, 1 medium bell pepper, 3 cloves garlic, Optional: 1 minced jalapeño
- Add the taco seasoning to the pot and stir. Then add the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, and beans and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.6 tablespoons taco seasoning, 4 cups chicken stock, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, 15 ounce can black beans, 15 ounce can pinto beans
- Add the corn to the pot and let it warm for a few minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 cups frozen corn, Sea salt and pepper
- If using the cream cheese, cut it into small pieces and add it to the soup then stir until it dissolves into the soup.Optional: 4-ounces cream cheese
- Serve with any or all of the optional toppings.Optional toppings: grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips, lime juice, diced avocado
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.