Hamburger soup is an easy to make and delicious soup made with lean ground beef, veggies, and a richly flavored broth. It's inexpensive to make and reheats beautifully.
Serve hamburger soup with a simple green salad and some no yeast bread. Yum!
What is hamburger soup
Hamburger soup (also known as ground beef soup) is a hearty soup recipe made with lean ground beef.
We make ours with a flavorful broth made from beef stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and our favorite Italian seasoning.
To make this a healthy recipe, we add all of our favorite veggies. We've got some potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, peas, and corn.
READ MORE: Homemade Beef Bone Broth
How to make hamburger soup
It's incredibly easy to make hamburger soup.
- Once you sauté the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery you add the ground beef to the pot and let it cook.
- Then push the veggies and beef to the side and add the tomato paste. After a few minutes, it will start to caramelize, which adds the best flavor to the soup.
- Then the rest of the ingredients to into the soup and you simmer it until the potatoes are soft.
If you'd like to add peas and corn, add them at the very end.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Hamburger soup variations
The great thing about making this soup is that you can add any or all of the veggies you want and turn it into a hamburger vegetable soup. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Bell peppers
- Green beans
- Chopped cabbage
How long does hamburger soup last?
This soup will keep well for 3-4 days in your fridge, making it ideal for meal-prep!
Can I freeze this soup?
This recipe has potatoes in it, which don't freeze well. When potatoes thaw, they tend to get a funny, gritty texture.
If you'd like to freeze this soup, simply omit the potatoes. You can add them in when you're ready to eat the soup!
What to serve with this hamburger soup recipe
This is a heart soup recipe that can easily be served on its own for a filling meal. But if you'd like to add a side, here are a few we like:
- No Yeast Bread with Herbs and Cheese
- Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- The Best Kale Salad
Popular soup recipes
- Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas Soup)
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Italian Sausage Soup
- BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthier Creamy Tortellini Soup
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef, see notes
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups beef broth
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 russet potatoes, about 1 ¼ lb, diced
- Optional: 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion is golden. Add the carrots and celery and cook for 3 minutes more.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic, 2 carrots, 2 stalks celery
- Add the ground beef and cook for about 8 minutes, until it is crumbly and no longer pink.1 ½ lb lean ground beef
- Push the beef to the side of the pot and add the tomato paste. Let it cook for 2-3 minutes, until it is sweet-smelling.4 tablespoons tomato paste
- Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and potatoes and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.6 cups beef broth, 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 2 russet potatoes
- If using, add the peas and corn to the pot then season to taste with salt and pepper.Optional: 1 cup frozen peas and 1 cup frozen corn, Salt and pepper