Chicken Vegetable Soup
This chicken vegetable soup is loaded with shredded chicken and tons of healthy veggies. We use bone-in chicken which gives the savory tomato broth tons of flavor. It's a warm and cozy chicken soup recipe that the whole family will love!
This chicken vegetable soup recipe rocks because
- It is absolutely loaded with veggies. Scroll down to see them arranged on a huge platter.
- The simple, tomato-based broth is delicious. We say a big thank you to bone-in chicken thighs for the flavor boost.
- Filling on its own, but super cozy with a thick slice of buttered Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread.
- Even tastier when you take it for tomorrow's lunch.
Let's make chicken and vegetable soup
- Saute some onion, garlic, and carrots in oil then pour a can of diced tomatoes into the pot. Add some Italian seasoning, chicken stock, and 4 bone-in chicken thighs. Note: the chicken bones give the soup so much flavor.
- Chop the veggies while the soup simmers then add them to the pot after 20 minutes.
- Now all you have to do is shred the chicken and add a few more veggies. So easy!
What vegetables go in this chicken soup recipe
The best thing about this chicken vegetable soup recipe is that it is super versatile. Do you see a vegetable in the ingredient list that you don't like? Leave it out! Love a veggie that you don't see listed? Add it in!
Our favorite veggies for chicken vegetable soup are:
- Green beans
Subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Healthy and Easy Chicken Soup Recipes
- Lemon Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- Coconut Thai Chicken Zoodle Soup
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Curried Chicken Cauliflower Rice Soup
- The Best Crock Pot Thai Chicken Soup
- Crockpot Tuscan Chicken Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan
Chicken Vegetable Soup
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs, skinless
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 cup EACH: chopped broccoli and chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup kale leaves, packed
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste (see notes)
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook until it is transparent, about 3 minutes. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ medium onion, 2 medium carrots, 4 cloves garlic
- Add the diced tomatoes (juice and all), the Italian seasoning, and chicken stock to the pot and stir. Place the chicken thighs on top then bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.28 ounce can of diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 6 cups chicken stock, 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- While the soup cooks, chop the celery, broccoli and cauliflower. After 20 minutes, add them to the pot to the pot and stir. After 10 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot. Add the cabbage, kale, and green beans and let them cook for 5 minutes.2 stalks celery, 1 cup EACH: chopped broccoli and chopped cauliflower, 1 cup chopped purple cabbage, 1 cup kale leaves, 1 cup sliced green beans
- Remove the bones from the chicken and shred the meat using 2 forks then add the chicken back into the pot. Season the soup with salt and pepper.