Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Chicken gnocchi soup is a delicious cream soup made with tender chicken and gnocchi, shredded carrots, chopped spinach, and real cream. It's easy to make and this homemade version tastes even better than Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup!
Complete the meal with a side of no yeast bread with herbs and cheese!
What is chicken gnocchi soup
This recipe is a copycat of Olive Garden's famous chicken gnocchi soup. Not to brag, but this version might be even better. Gasp!
There's a lot going on in this soup, but what makes it really special is the incredible flavor of the creamy broth. It's seasoned with Italian seasoning and the chicken is cooked in it which gives it the best taste. We splurge and use real cream in this recipe, cause sometimes nothing else will do.
Swimming around in the tasty soup are a few veggies like carrots, onion, celery, and spinach. They add sweetness and a little fresh crunch.
And both the chicken and gnocchi are so tender; eating them feels like a real treat.
How to make Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup
This cozy soup is quite easy to make. Here's the rundown about how you'll make it:
- Briefly cook the onion, garlic, and celery.
- Add the chicken to the pot, season it, then pour in the stock and simmer the chicken until it's cooked.
- Pop the grated carrots and gnocchi into the pot and let them cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now all you have to do is mix the cornstarch with the cream then add it to the soup to thicken it. A little spinach is all that's needed to finish the soup!
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
Can I use leftover cooked chicken?
Yes! Since the chicken won't need to be cooked, you can move onto step 3 in the recipe and add the gnocchi right after the soup starts to simmer.
Also try this with leftover turkey!
Chicken gnocchi soup variations
- Instead of using gnocchi, you can add pasta. Short shapes like macaroni, fusilli, and penne work best.
- Add frozen peas and corn at the end of cooking.
- Add some diced potatoes.
- Use mild Italian sausage instead of the chicken.
Make this gluten-free
Because we use cornstarch to thicken this soup, it's very easy to make this a gluten-free chicken gnocchi soup. Secret: the soup you see in the pictures was made with gluten-free gnocchi.
Unlike regular gnocchi, the gluten-free variety will get overcooked and mushy extra quickly. It's best to cook the gnocchi separately and add it to your bowls.
How long does chicken gnocchi soup last?
This soup will keep for 3-4 days in your fridge.
But … the gnocchi will get very soft. If you know that you'll have leftovers, or are meal-prepping this soup, it's best to cook the gnocchi separately and add it to your bowl.
Can I freeze this soup?
Unfortunately, this chicken gnocchi soup doesn't freeze well. The gnocchi will turn mushy and the cream may separate.
If you want to turn this into a freezer-meal, cook the soup without adding the gnocchi or cream. Then make a note on the freezer bag to add both when you heat it.
What to serve with chicken and gnocchi soup
This is a hearty soup recipe that can easily be a meal on its own. But a side of our no yeast bread with herbs and cheese is always good for dunking in soup. If you want to add a veggie side, here are a few of our favorites:
Popular chicken soup recipes
- Lemon Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- BEST Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Thai Chicken Soup
- Tuscan Chicken Soup with Prosciutto and Parmesan
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 8 ounces gnocchi, see notes
- 3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach, do not use frozen
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic and cook until the onion is transparent, about 3 minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 medium onion, 2 stalks celery, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and mix well. Pour the chicken stock into the pot and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.2 chicken breasts, 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper, 4 cups chicken stock
- Add the grated carrots and the gnocchi to the pot and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the gnocchi starts to float to the top.2 medium carrots, 8 ounces gnocchi
- Put the cornstarch in a 2-cup measuring cup and pour in a little of the cream. Mix well then add the rest of the cream to the measuring cup.3 ½ tablespoons cornstarch, 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Pour the cream into the pot and let the soup warm and thicken. Add the spinach and stir.2 cups chopped fresh spinach
This was our first soup attempt ever and it was delicious; we were pleasantly surprised! We didn’t use cornstarch. I used 6 tbsp of arrowroot powder instead. It did not alter the taste and thickened up nicely. We also eliminated the gnocchi all together. Next time, we are going to season the chicken a bit before adding to the soup. Thank you!
Delicious ! A few comments: the soup was too thick , too much stringy chicken for my taste. I added more broth to thin ,1 bay leaf and a sprinkle of dried oregano for added flavor. The next time I would lessen the salt, add 4 chicken thighs instead of 8 and leave the skin on 1 thigh for added flavor. Tortilla strips do not crisp in the oven, they need to be fried in oil for optimum crispiness. Thank you for the recipe.
This is now my new favorite soup. I adore gnocchi and your flavor combinations are so delicious! Even though I have leftovers, I’m looking forward to making it again.
This soup was delicious. Just what I was looking for. I’m going to make it again soon. Thanks
I love gnocchi – it’s super comforting and this soup was so hearty and delicious.
This chicken gnocchi soup is the BEST! It’s even better than the Olive Garden version in my opinion.
A perfect option for family weeknight dinner. Quick and delicious.
Want to make this but can I omit the spinach?
Hi for chicken gnocchi soup what would suggest instead of cream plz
You can try using cashew cream – ¼ cup of cashew butter mixed with 1 cup of water. 🙂