Today's Spicy Mexican Rice is brought to you by Mr. Joshua Weisgarber, otherwise known as My Handsome Man. He's this sort of rice wizard, which I think must have something to do with the fact that he can eat it every single day. Yep, I swear to you he would be happy with 365 days of rice in his life every year; I'm not even exaggerating.
I weigh in on the other end of the rice scales. I'd be happy with only a small scoop on my plate when we're eating Thai or Indian. Even happier with just some noodles or naan bread instead.
You must be wondering how we ever manage to eat together.
Well for one we have this spicy Mexican rice. Remember when I said Josh is a rice wizard? Of course you do, that was only, like, a few sentences ago. Ya. Anyway, he works his magic and turns boring ol' rice into this super tasty I wanna eat it thang.
For one he uses brown rice which is WAY better than that white rice stuff. At least I think it is.
Sidebar → I LOVE yummy, chewy, nutty tasting grains like wheat berry, kamut and farro. I think I just figured out why brown rice makes so much more sense to me.
Ok back to this Mexican rice. Anything that's spicy makes me happy and this rice is perfectly spicy without being wipe your brow haawt. It's packed full of sweet and crunchy corn kernels, carrots and peppers. There's so much flavour here that we eat this on its own as a one pot dinner. I think it would be great as a side to some Mexican BBQ chicken.
Make sure you don't skimp on the lime, it's my favourite part of this rice.
If you make this Spicy Mexican Rice make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
This spicy Mexican rice is made with healthy brown rice for lots of flavour. Even though I'm not normally a rice fan I could eat this everyday.
- 2 cups brown rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 sweet tooth red pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 serano pepper, thinly sliced (see note)
- ½ tablespoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 lime
- For garnish, chopped fresh tomatoes, cilantro, good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Add all the ingredients, except the corn, lime and garnish, to a medium sized pot over high heat. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the rice is soft remove it from the heat, taste for seasoning and add more sea salt to taste. We added an extra ¼ tablespoon of sea salt. Stir through the corn and the juice from 1 lime.
- Garnish with fresh tomatoes, cilantro and a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil.