This delicious Creamy Kale Salad is tossed with a maple tahini dressing and dotted with apples, sprouts, almonds, and sesame seeds. It's an easy to make side dish recipe that is naturally vegan + gluten-free and can easily be made paleo.
It's kale salad day and I'm only a tiny bit embarrassed about how excited that makes me. Seriously, kale salad and I are like this (insert fingers crossing). 🤞
There's something about those dark green curly leaves that never seem to wilt and go weird salad soggy that I love love love. Or maybe it's all the nooks and crannies that capture the delicious dressing that wins my heart.
In this edition of I Love Kale Salad, you'll find curly kale, crunchy apples, crisp and spicy alfalfa sprouts, and tasty almonds and sesame seeds. They're all tossed together in a creamy maple tahini dressing that I could drink by the spoonful. 👉 Not that I actually did that. Just sayin'.
So today's recipe was actually supposed to be a post about how I'm going to hop on The Whole30 diet train for the next month. If you haven't heard of it, it's kind of like the paleo diet, only no sugar of any kind. Even maple syrup (and so this salad) are out.
A couple of days ago, my handsome man came home and said he has a few weeks off. (He works in film and, if you're familiar at all with that industry, you'll know that work schedules seem to be created on the fly. It's the best for planning. Ha!) So here I was, thinking I'm going to do this one month of eating super clean, drinking nothing but water, and being overall super healthy. Until I realized that meant he'd be home and we couldn't go out to eat, enjoy a cocktail together, or celebrate our anniversary by going to the lounge where we met. Read: boring!
With his ridiculously busy work schedule lately, we've barely seen each other. The last thing I want is to be “That Person” for the two weeks he has off. You know what I mean, right? The person who doesn't eat anything fun and has to modify every frickin' thing they eat. (That will so be me in a couple weeks.)
So … my clean living plan has been put on hold for a few weeks.
Back to this deliciously creamy kale salad …
Even though it doesn't fit into my now delayed Whole30 plan, it's totally clean eating approved. I mean helllllo, it's KALE! And that creamy dressing is 100% dairy-free (read: vegan!) and made with healthy tahini and apple cider vinegar and a few other tasty odds and ends.
Not exactly going off track with this one here. Enjoy, my friends!
If you make this Creamy Kale Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing make sure you snap a pic and tag #theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- ¼ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons each: maple syrup, and miso (omit miso for paleo)
- 1 small garlic clove, grated on a Microplane or very finely minced
- A pinch of cayenne
- 3-4 tablespoons hot tap water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups kale, torn into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- A few small handfuls of alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk the tahini, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, miso, garlic, and cayenne. Add 3-4 tablespoons of hot water, to thin. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl, drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat.
Latest posts by Kristen Stevens (see all)
- Summer Veggie Grilled Steak Tacos - June 25, 2017
- Grilled Zucchini Salad with Corn, Chickpeas, Sprouts and a Creamy Sunflower Dressing - June 23, 2017
- Blog Income Report – May 2017 - June 22, 2017