Italian Dressing Chicken
Italian dressing chicken is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken recipes. Chicken breasts are marinated in Italian salad dressing then topped with parmesan cheese and baked until incredibly juicy and flavorful. You will LOVE this recipe!
Complete the meal with a green salad tossed in our homemade Italian salad dressing and a side of smoky roast potatoes!
Italian dressing chicken
If you've ever wondered if you can marinate chicken in Italian dressing, the answer is a big, loud YES! The dressing makes an ideal marinate as it has oil, acid, and flavor – the three things every marinade needs.
And not only is the chicken marinated in Italian dressing but it's also cooked in it, too. This makes the chicken breasts both incredibly flavorful and unbelievably juicy. It really is the best easy chicken recipe.
How to make this Italian dressing chicken recipe
This is one of the easiest recipes on The Endless Meal AND one of the tastiest. We love to use our homemade Italian salad dressing to make this chicken. The flavor is perfect! Often, we'll make a double batch of the dressing so we can use the leftovers on salad for the next few weeks.
- Marinate the chicken – Pour the dressing over the chicken and let it hang out in your fridge.
- Cook the chicken – Transfer the chicken and dressing to a baking dish then put it into your oven for about half an hour.
- Make it taste amazing – for the best flavor, sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the chicken a few minutes before it finishes cooking.
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
The best Italian salad dressing to marinate chicken
Our homemade Italian salad dressing is amazing in this recipe. It only takes about 5 minutes to make, and if you double the batch, you can use the rest on salads all week.
But store-bought Italian salad dressing works, too. Choose your favorite brand and follow the recipe!
How long to marinate chicken in Italian dressing
Chicken that is marinated in an acid (like the vinegar and lemon juice in Italian dressing) can be marinated for up to 24 hours. Beyond that point, the meat starts to break down, and the texture will change.
But don't worry if you haven't thought ahead. Even a 10-minute marinade, while your oven comes up to temperature, will still give the chicken a lot of flavor.
Pro tip: after dinner tonight, put some chicken breasts and Italian salad dressing into a bowl in your fridge, and they'll be ready to go for dinner tomorrow!
How long does cooked chicken last?
Cooked chicken will keep well for 3-4 days in your fridge. For the best taste, reheat it in some of the sauce.
Can I freeze chicken and Italian dressing?
Yes! You can freeze this recipe either before or after it's cooked. Here's how to do it:
- Freeze Italian dressing chicken raw: Add the breasts to a freezer bag (we love these reusable Stasher freezer bags to store just about everything in our freezer), then pour the dressing into the bag. Store the chicken in your freezer for up to six months. To cook the chicken, thaw it in your fridge overnight, transfer it and the dressing to a baking dish, then bake according to the recipe directions.
- Freeze this recipe after it's cooked: If you've made extra and want to save some for another time, put the cooled breasts and all of the sauce into a freezer bag. Cooked chicken will last for about 3 months in your freezer.
What to serve with baked chicken with Italian dressing
We love to serve this recipe with a big green salad tossed in an Italian vinaigrette and a side of roast potatoes. But there are lots of options for what to serve with this chicken. Here are a few other sides that go well:
- Best Greek Salad
- Easy Roasted Italian Cauliflower
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
READ MORE: Homemade Italian Seasoning
Popular chicken recipes
Italian Dressing Chicken Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian dressing, try our homemade Italian dressing
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Lay the chicken in a baking dish just big enough to hold the chicken. (See notes.) Pour the Italian dressing over the top. Cover the chicken then place it into your fridge for up to 24 hours, turning the chicken over once halfway through marinating. (See notes.)4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup Italian dressing
- Remove the chicken from the fridge then preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the chicken, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over the chicken breasts then continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with a few spoonfuls of the sauce in the baking dish over the top.½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Can you use chicken legs in this recipe?
Absolutely! You’ll just need to increase the cooking time. They’ll take about 45-50 minutes.
absolutely delicious. I made this tonight using chicken thighs instead of breasts because that’s what I had on hand. It was wonderful. Due to a dairy allergy, I left the parmesian cheese off but it was still delicious. The pan juices were wonderful on the potatoes too. I will use this recipe again.
I am on a Keto diet n this meal was delicious n healthy… Loved it ..I added a few other things too
I made the Italian Dressing Chicken last night. I did not plan ahead but marinated it as the oven heated and it was still fantastic! A great, easy, delicious recipe!
I like to put some fresh mushrooms, onion, cauliflower and broccoli in a seperate bag and marinade in the dressing also. I add that to the baking dish w/ the chicken and bake it still adding grated cheeses at the end. I like to put mine on a bed of egg noodles w/ a side of mashed potatoes🥰Yummy💯
A very flavorful easy to bring together dish. I added sliced black olives and canned artichoke pieces to the dish before baking. Will make this often. Great recipe!
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! Delicious, bold and flavorful; easily, a new favorite dish!
So delicious! I love the way the Italian dressing brings the flavors together.
This recipe could not have come at a better time! I was looking for fast & flavorful recipes for these busy holiday months and here it is! Thank you for saving dinner!
My mother used to make a chicken recipe just like this! I made your delicious recipe. It came together quickly. The flavors are wonderful, just like I remembered.
I love this recipe!! Only 3 ingredients, super flavorful, and my chicken turns out tender and juicy every time! Yum!
I’m making this recipe as I write this but I marinated in a zip lock baggie and also added minced garlic. This morning, I put the chicken breasts in my slow cooker on low. It smells amazing in here already and I can’t wait to eat!
Going to try the homemade next time
But we were in a pinch so I got dollar store dressing and parm turned out good I also made some garlic butter and parm noodles that I put the sauce it made in that was awesome .. definitely want to make again but use chickens from the farm and homemade cheese and herbs . Definitely easy and satisfying for me and my family of 7
Great, easy recipe. I needed something sweet without totally throwing healthy eating out the window. Thanks!