This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Italian dressing chicken is one of the easiest and most delicious chicken recipes. Chicken breasts are marinated in Italian salad dressing then topped with parmesan cheese and baked until incredibly juicy and flavorful. You will LOVE this recipe!
Italian dressing chicken
If you've ever wondered if you can marinate chicken in Italian dressing, the answer is a big, loud YES! The dressing makes an ideal marinate as it has oil, acid, and flavor – the three things every marinade needs.
And not only is the chicken marinated in Italian dressing but it's also cooked in it, too. This makes the chicken breasts both incredibly flavorful and unbelievably juicy. It really is the best easy chicken recipe.
How to make this Italian dressing chicken recipe
This is one of the easiest recipes on The Endless Meal AND one of the tastiest. We love to use our homemade Italian salad dressing to make this chicken. The flavor is perfect! Often, we'll make a double batch of the dressing so we can use the leftovers on salad for the next few weeks.
- Marinate the chicken – Pour the dressing over the chicken and let it hang out in your fridge.
- Cook the chicken – Transfer the chicken and dressing to a baking dish then put it into your oven for about half an hour.
- Make it taste amazing – for the best flavor, sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the chicken a few minutes before it finishes cooking.
The best Italian salad dressing to marinate chicken
Our homemade Italian salad dressing is amazing in this recipe. It only takes about 5 minutes to make, and if you double the batch, you can use the rest on salads all week.
But store-bought Italian salad dressing works, too. Choose your favorite brand and follow the recipe!
How long to marinate chicken in Italian dressing
Chicken that is marinated in an acid (like the vinegar and lemon juice in Italian dressing) can be marinated for up to 24 hours. Beyond that point, the meat starts to break down, and the texture will change.
But don't worry if you haven't thought ahead. Even a 10-minute marinade, while your oven comes up to temperature, will still give the chicken a lot of flavor.
Pro tip: after dinner tonight, put some chicken breasts and Italian salad dressing into a bowl in your fridge, and they'll be ready to go for dinner tomorrow!
How long does cooked chicken last?
Cooked chicken will keep well for 3-4 days in your fridge. For the best taste, reheat it in some of the sauce.
Can I freeze chicken and Italian dressing?
Yes! You can freeze this recipe either before or after it's cooked. Here's how to do it:
- Freeze Italian dressing chicken raw: Add the breasts to a freezer bag (we love these reusable Stasher freezer bags to store just about everything in our freezer), then pour the dressing into the bag. Store the chicken in your freezer for up to six months. To cook the chicken, thaw it in your fridge overnight, transfer it and the dressing to a baking dish, then bake according to the recipe directions.
- Freeze this recipe after it's cooked: If you've made extra and want to save some for another time, put the cooled breasts and all of the sauce into a freezer bag. Cooked chicken will last for about 3 months in your freezer.
What to serve with baked chicken with Italian dressing
We love to serve this recipe with a big green salad tossed in an Italian vinaigrette and a side of roast potatoes. But there are lots of options for what to serve with this chicken. Here are a few other sides that go well:
- Best Greek Salad
- Easy Roasted Italian Cauliflower
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
READ MORE: Homemade Italian Seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian dressing (try our homemade Italian dressing)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Lay the chicken in a baking dish just big enough to hold the chicken. (See notes.) Pour the Italian dressing over the top. Cover the chicken then place it into your fridge for up to 24 hours, turning the chicken over once halfway through marinating. (See notes.)4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup Italian dressing
- Remove the chicken from the fridge then preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake the chicken, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over the chicken breasts then continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with a few spoonfuls of the sauce in the baking dish over the top.½ cup grated parmesan cheese
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.