Chicken provençal is a flavorful French braised chicken recipe. Seasoned chicken thighs are first seared, then braised in white wine with olives, shallots, garlic, artichoke hearts, and cherry tomatoes. It's easy to make and perfect for meal prep as leftovers taste amazing.
Complete the meal with a side of no yeast bread with herb and cheese for sopping up the tasty sauce. And if you love French recipes, make sure to try coq au vin!
What is chicken provençal
Chicken provençal is a simple French dish that is absolutely bursting with flavor. It hails from the sun-soaked region of Provence, in the south of France.
While a braised dish might have you thinking of winter (and this does make a cozy meal), the flavors are surprisingly light and fresh. Chicken provencal is a versatile recipe and can be enjoyed both on a cold-weather day or outside on a warm summer evening.
Salty olives, buttery soft garlic, sweet cherry tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, and your favorite white wine blend together to create a truly special recipe.
How to make this chicken provencal recipe
While the name chicken provençal might sound intimidating (especially when you see it written with the little tail (cedilla) under the c), this is a straightforward recipe that anyone can cook.
- Season the chicken thighs, then brown them in a large pan.
- Add olives, shallots, cherry tomatoes, whole garlic cloves, marinated artichoke hearts, and some white wine to the pan.
- Now put on a lid and pop the pan into your oven for 45 minutes.
That's it! You have just made a beautiful French recipe!
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
How to store leftovers
You may want to double the recipe as chicken provençal makes excellent leftovers. Store the leftovers in a covered container in your fridge for 3-4 days.
To reheat chicken provençal, simply warm it in a pan with some of the sauce.
Can chicken provencal be frozen?
Yes! Chicken provençal freezes very well. Let it cool completely then store it in portions that you'll use in one meal. We love using these reusable Stasher freezer bags for storing all of our freezer meals.
Variations to try
- Use dry vermouth instead of the wine.
- Use red wine instead of white wine for a richer flavor.
- Add chopped potatoes to the pot for a heartier meal.
- Swap the green olives for black olives.
- Add diced bell peppers.
What goes with chicken provencal
You're definitely going to want to serve this with something for the sauce. A thick slice of bread (like our no yeast bread) is ideal for mopping up the sauce. A few other ideas are:
- Pasta – Try tagliatelle.
- Basmati rice.
- Cauliflower rice.
- Roasted garlic mashed potatoes.
Popular chicken recipes
- Julia Child’s Coq au Vin
- French Onion Chicken
- Italian Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
- Coconut Milk Braised Chicken
Provencal Chicken Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on or off, your choice
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence, san substitute Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts
- 1 head garlic, 10-12 whole peeled cloves
- 6 medium shallots, cut in half
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the chicken thighs with the Herbs de Provence, sea salt, and pepper.8 chicken thighs, 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a braising pan, high-sided skillet, or large pot over medium heat. Add the chicken thighs, skin side up, and let them cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Flip them over and cook them until the skin is golden, about 5 minutes more.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Turn the chicken pieces so they are skin side up. Scatter the olives, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, garlic cloves, and shallots around the chicken then pour the wine into the pot.1 cup pitted green olives, 1 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, 1 head garlic, 6 medium shallots, 1 cup dry white wine
- Put a lid on the pot then put it into the oven to braise for 45 minutes.
If I were to add potatoes when would you recommend doing so? Thanks!
You should be able to add them to the pot with the other veggies.
This was really, really, really good. I used boneless skinless thighs, everything else the same. Amazing. I’m obsessed with olives and artichokes and this checked all the boxes. So so good!
Love this recipe. I use half black, greek olives and half green olives.
This is so good and very easy to make! A keeper for sure!! I will be making this a lot!!