How to Make Cauliflower Rice
Learn how to make cauliflower rice in just a few minutes. It's an easy recipe that tastes great with curry, stir-fries, rice bowls, or any saucy main course.
Cauliflower rice is our most frequently made side dish. It's a great way to lighten up dinner and add extra veggies to your diet.
The texture resembles rice and is the ideal base for saucy dinners.
It's also very easy to make. If the people at your dinner table wouldn't be thrilled with pretending a vegetable is rice, you can easily put on a pot of regular rice and make this for yourself. When we make curry or stir-fries, I often make basmati rice on for my family and cook some cauliflower rice for myself.
But if you spice up the rice using one of our variations, chances are, everyone will love this recipe!
How to make cauliflower rice taste good
If you're not a big fan of cauliflower, you may want to add a little flavor to the rice to hide the cauliflower taste. My favorite way to do this is to saute the cauliflower rice in coconut oil. Here are a few other tasty variations:
- Garlic + Ginger. Saute a little of each before you add the rice to the pan.
- Mexican. Mix in a teaspoon of cumin, some lime juice, and chopped cilantro.
- Indian. Use coconut oil and stir a teaspoon of curry powder into the cooked cauli rice.
- Cheesy. Saute a couple of minced garlic cloves before adding the rice. Then stir in ½ cup of grated parmesan cheese once it's cooked.
How to make cauliflower rice
This very easy recipe can be on your table super fast!
- Chop the cauliflower. Remove any leaves then chop the cauliflower and stem into pieces small enough to fit into your food processor.
- Rice the cauliflower. Work in batches to pulse the cauliflower in your food processor until it resembles rice.
- Cook the cauliflower rice. Sauté the riced cauliflower for 2-3 minutes to soften it slightly and mellow the flavor.
Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
Cauliflower rice FAQs
The cauliflower can be riced and kept in a sealed container in your fridge for up to a week. As cooked cauliflower develops a strong flavor if it is kept for a few days in your fridge, we recommend only cooking the amount you plan on eating.
If you are making cauliflower rice for work/school lunches, we recommend adding it to your containers raw. It will cook when you reheat your lunch.
We love using coconut oil and it gives a wonderful flavor to the rice. If coconut doesn't go well with what you are serving, opt for a neutral-flavored oil such as avocado or canola.
You can either use the large holes on a box grater to grate the cauliflower or you can chop it by hand.
DO NOT thaw the cauliflower rice. Simply add it frozen to the pan and saute for a few extra minutes.
Serve cauliflower rice with
How to Make Cauliflower Rice
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, about 3 lbs
- 1 tablespoon oil, coconut oil tastes great. use avocado or canola for a neutral flavor
- Remove the leaves then chop the cauliflower into 2-inch pieces.1 large head of cauliflower
- Working in batches, pulse the cauliflower in your food processor until it resembles rice, about 10-15 pulses. Do not over-process or it will turn mushy.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the riced cauliflower and cook, stirring a few times, for 2-3 minutes, or until the cauliflower has softened slightly.1 tablespoon oil