French Onion Chicken
French onion chicken is an easy dinner recipe made with tender, juicy chicken breasts, buttery caramelized onion gravy, and deliciously melted cheese. It's a guaranteed family favorite recipe that is absolutely bursting with flavor and cozy vibes.
This post is sponsored by Sealand Quality Foods.
What is French onion chicken
French onion chicken is a riff on our favorite soup recipe. It's made with buttery caramelized onions, tender chicken breast, and gooey melted cheese.
Cozy comfort food does not get better than this.
Taking a bite of chicken smothered in cheese and sweet onions is pure happiness.
And since you can make this fancy looking, and lavish tasting, dinner in just 40 minutes you really should treat yourself tonight.
The chicken breasts used to make this French onion chicken recipe were delivered to our doorstep by Sealand Quality Foods. If you live in Canada, they'll deliver premium meats and seafood right to your doorstep. It's super convenient.
All of their meat is individually quick frozen to maintain the freshest quality. And as each piece is individually wrapped, it makes it really easy to scale recipes up or down as you need so you can easily control the portions.
So if you're a family of three, or you're cooking for one, you don't have to make the entire French onion chicken recipe. Simply thaw the number of breasts you need. Easy!
How to make this French onion chicken recipe
There are three parts to making this recipe and all are very simple.
- Caramelize the onions. The only tricky part here is trying to cut the onions without tears streaming down your face. You can do it!
- Sear the chicken breast. First, you'll pound them a little so that they are even in thickness. Then season them before you pop them into the pan.
- Put it all together. Smother the chicken with the caramelized onion and top them with some tasty cheese. Once it melts, dinner is ready!
Full recipe in the recipe card below.
How long will French onion chicken last?
Cooked chicken will keep well for 2-3 days in your fridge. The leftovers taste amazing so you may want to make extra for meal-prep!
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes! French onion chicken freezes well. After you let the chicken cool completely you can freeze it in freezer-safe dishes.
What to serve with French onion chicken
Mashed potatoes are almost a must. They go really well with the caramelized onion gravy! Here are a few other sides that we love with this recipe:
- Roasted Acorn Squash
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Red Potatoes
- Sauteed Asparagus with Garlic and Parmesan
- Sauteed Green Beans with Garlic
Popular chicken recipes
- Roasted Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Creamy Garlic Chicken with Spinach
- Italian Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
- Bacon Wrapped Mediterranean Chicken
French Onion Chicken
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded so they are evenly thick (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- 4 slices EACH: provolone cheese and swiss cheese
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring every 5 minutes, until they are soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium after 5 minutes to prevent them from browning too quickly. Drizzle the reduced balsamic over the top then remove the onions from the pan.4 tablespoons butter, 4 medium onions, 2 teaspoons reduced balsamic vinegar
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts. Add the chicken to the pan you used to cook the onions. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes on each side then remove them from the pan. (It's ok if they're not fully cooked yet.)2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: salt and pepper, 4 chicken breasts
- Return the onions to the pan, sprinkle the cornstarch over top, and mix it into the onions. Add the beef broth and stir until the gravy thickens.1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 ½ cups beef broth
- Return the chicken to the pan and top each piece with a slice of provolone and swiss cheese. Cover the pan and continue to cook for 5 minutes more, until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through.4 slices EACH: provolone cheese and swiss cheese