This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cream cheese mashed potatoes are the softest, most delicious mashed potatoes ever. If you want a real treat, this is the mashed potatoes recipe you want to make!
Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
If you've ever wondered if you can put cream cheese in mashed potatoes, the answer is a loud and clear YES.
Once you try these mashed potatoes you may never make them any other way again. They become extra creamy, extra fluffy, and extra delicious.
How to make this recipe
- Start by chopping the potatoes into small cubes then boil them until they are soft.
- Once you drain the water from the pot, immediately add the cream cheese, butter, and whipping cream. The butter and cheese will soften quickly from the heat of the potatoes.
- Now grab your potato masher and get to work. It should take less than a minute to mash the potatoes until they are light and fluffy.
- Don't forget the salt! Mashed potatoes need to be salted if you want them to taste truly dreamy.
How long does this recipe keep?
Mashed potatoes will keep well for 4 days in your fridge.
Can you freeze mashed potatoes with cream cheese?
Potatoes never freeze well. While you technically can freeze mashed potatoes, their quality will degrade so we don't recommend it.
What is the best way to reheat mashed potatoes?
We like to put them in a pan with a tiny splash of water and reheat them over low heat. They can also be microwaved.
What to serve with mashed potatoes with cream cheese
These mashed potatoes are so good that you're not going to want to save them for a special meal. Here are a few of our favorite weeknight protein recipes that go amazing with these potatoes:
- Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Perfect Baked Chicken Breasts
- Juicy Baked Pork Chops
- Garlic Ginger Chicken
- Mississippi Pot Roast
And a few veggie sides:
- Garlic Butter Sugar Snap Peas
- Roasted Asparagus
- Quick Garlic Roasted Carrots
- Easy Italian Cauliflower
To truly celebrate these cream cheese mashed potatoes, serve them with our herb and lemon butter roast chicken. It's delicious!
And if you love to smother your mashed potatoes in gravy, this is a great recipe about how to make gravy!
- 3 lb potatoes (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (½ a brick)
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt (to taste)
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium-high and continue to boil for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Drain the water then return the potatoes to the pot.3 lb potatoes
- Add the cream cheese, whipping cream, and butter and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. (See notes.) Season to taste with salt (we like about 2 teaspoons) and stir the salt through the potatoes.4 ounces cream cheese, ⅓ cup whipping cream, 4 tablespoons butter, Salt
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.