Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
Cream cheese mashed potatoes are the softest, most delicious mashed potatoes ever. If you want a real treat, this is the mashed potatoes recipe you want to make!
Complete the meal with delicious lemon herb butter roast chicken and spicy honey roasted carrots.
Mashed Potatoes with Cream Cheese
If you've ever wondered if you can put cream cheese in mashed potatoes, the answer is a loud and clear YES.
Once you try these mashed potatoes you may never make them any other way again. They become extra creamy, extra fluffy, and extra delicious.
How to make this recipe
- Start by chopping the potatoes into small cubes then boil them until they are soft.
- Once you drain the water from the pot, immediately add the cream cheese, butter, and whipping cream. The butter and cheese will soften quickly from the heat of the potatoes.
- Now grab your potato masher and get to work. It should take less than a minute to mash the potatoes until they are light and fluffy.
- Don't forget the salt! Mashed potatoes need to be salted if you want them to taste truly dreamy.
How long does this recipe keep?
Mashed potatoes will keep well for 4 days in your fridge.
Can you freeze mashed potatoes with cream cheese?
Potatoes never freeze well. While you technically can freeze mashed potatoes, their quality will degrade so we don't recommend it.
What is the best way to reheat mashed potatoes?
We like to put them in a pan with a tiny splash of water and reheat them over low heat. They can also be microwaved.
What to serve with mashed potatoes with cream cheese
These mashed potatoes are so good that you're not going to want to save them for a special meal. Here are a few of our favorite weeknight protein recipes that go amazing with these potatoes:
- Juicy Baked Chicken Thighs
- Perfect Baked Chicken Breasts
- Juicy Baked Pork Chops
- Garlic Ginger Chicken
- Mississippi Pot Roast
And a few veggie sides:
To truly celebrate these cream cheese mashed potatoes, serve them with our herb and lemon butter roast chicken. It's delicious!
And if you love to smother your mashed potatoes in gravy, this is a great recipe about how to make gravy!
Popular potato side dishes
- Greek Lemon Potatoes
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Red Potatoes
- Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Cakes
- Smoky Roast Potatoes
- Duchess Potatoes
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 3 lb potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces cream cheese, ½ a brick
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt, to taste
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to medium-high and continue to boil for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Drain the water then return the potatoes to the pot.3 lb potatoes
- Add the cream cheese, whipping cream, and butter and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. (See notes.) Season to taste with salt (we like about 2 teaspoons) and stir the salt through the potatoes.4 ounces cream cheese, ⅓ cup whipping cream, 4 tablespoons butter, Salt
This was an awesome base for smothered pork chops. This is my new mashed potato standard!
In the recipe it said: add whipping cream, but it did not mention which one was used in this recipe.
Is wiping cream used in this recipe sweet or you used ones for cooking.
Whipping cream comes in a carton and is similar to milk only thicker and higher in fat. You can use it to make whipped cream by whisking it with sugar. In this recipe, we simply use it straight out of the carton.
I made these for Thanksgiving. They were amazing! I love the tangy flavor the cream cheese adds.
Oh yes please! Pass me a fork or a spoon and keep everyone else distracted!
Real talk: there is nothing better than creamy silky mashed potatoes with cream cheese in the mix. Mashed potatoes are good and all, but cream cheese takes it to a whole new level. I love how simple and delectable these are!
Creamy, smooth and perfect mashed potatoes. Fantastic side dish to go with any meal.
I love adding cream cheese to mashed potatoes! It makes them so creamy & decadent. 🙂
I completely forgot about the magic that is adding cream cheese to mashed potatoes. I am in chage of them this year so am definitely going to use this yummy recipe! Thanks Kristen!
You may not know that your recioe is a variation of “Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes,” which contains cream cheese and sour cream and has been in community cookbooks for years and years! It is yummy, and I trust yours is too.
I didn’t know! Thanks for sharing!
Where have I been all my life? These potatoes are so creamy! Cream cheese really is the way to go. Thank you!