This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These smoky roast potatoes are healthy, delicious, and always a hit! Red potato wedges are sprinkled with Spanish paprika, thyme, and cayenne, then roasted until crispy. They're the perfect easy side dish for brunch or dinner, and they're ready in just 45 minutes!
These Spanish roasted potatoes are quick and easy to make, but they're so good and taste like they've spent an hour in the smoker. They've got lots of rich complex flavor, with a crispy exterior, and a soft, almost creamy center.
The not-so-secret ingredient is Spanish paprika. It's widely available, so you won't be running around town looking for it. It's way different (in a wonderfully smoky way) than everyday paprika.
Most of the cooking time is hands-off. Simply toss the potato wedges in olive oil and spices, and pop them into the oven. You'll know when they're done because they'll be golden brown with crispy bits on the outside.
Last but certainly not least, we sprinkle some salty feta cheese and parsley over them before serving. It's an optional, but very delicious step.
What is smoked paprika?
Smoked paprika is a staple spice in Spanish cuisine. It's made from pimentón (a type of red pepper native to Spain) that is smoked over oak fires and ground into powder. It has a distinctly earthy and smoky flavor and is used for seasoning everything from chorizo sausage to sauces, stews, and even eggs.
There are different varieties of Spanish pimentón that range in flavor from smoky to sweet, or even spicy. Spanish paprika is different than everyday paprika which tends to be flavorless and used mainly as a garnish.
More tasty smoked paprika recipes
Smoky roast potato ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make these flavorful smoky roast potatoes:
- Red potatoes – we love the texture and taste of red potatoes, but you can use another variety like white potatoes or yukon gold potatoes.
- Olive oil – a little bit of olive oil goes a long way and makes these potatoes crispy.
- Spices – Spanish paprika (pimentón), thyme, cayenne powder, and black pepper give these potatoes their wonderfully complex smoky flavor.
- Feta cheese + chopped parsley – optional, for serving.
How to make smoky roast potatoes
Paprika roasted potatoes are an easy and delicious side dish, and everyone loves them! Here's how to make them in a few simple steps:
- While your oven preheats, toss the potato wedges with olive oil and spices, and then season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer them to your baking sheet and roast them until they're soft on the inside but crispy on the outside.
- Sprinkle them with feta cheese and parsley (if using), and serve. That's it!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
Where can I buy Spanish paprika?
You can find it in the spice aisle of most well-stocked grocery stores. Just be sure it's made in Spain.
Are these smoky potatoes spicy?
These potatoes are mildly spicy, but it will depend on your paprika. Some pimentó varieties are spicier than others. To make them not spicy (aka kid-friendly), omit the cayenne pepper and taste your paprika for heat. Adjust the amount of paprika depending on your desired heat level.
What are the best kind of potatoes to use?
We love the tender skin and creamy center of red potatoes. Other potato varieties like white potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, or even russet potatoes will work as well.
What to serve with Spanish roasted potatoes
Take the struggle out of mealtime with a side dish that everyone loves! They're easy and healthy and perfect for weeknight dinners or weekend brunches. They taste great with just about everything from egg dishes, to meat mains, fish, and seafood.
We've even served them in a bowl instead of rice, layered with greens like arugula and other veggies for a hearty nutritious meal.
Spanish recipes that pair perfectly with smoky roast potatoes
- Stuffed Spanish Pork Chops with Olives
- Spanish Baked Eggs with Roasted Garlic and Olives
- Spanish Chicken Bake with Kale and Olives
More oven roasted potatoes
- Extra Crispy Roast Potatoes with Cashew Sour Cream
- Roasted Mini Potatoes with Herbs and Garlic
- Mini Hasselback Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- 8 medium red potatoes (quartered)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (pimentón)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Optional: feta cheese and parsley (to serve )
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Add the potatoes, olive oil, Spanish paprika, thyme leaves, sea salt, cayenne, and pepper to a large bowl and toss till everything is evenly coated.
- Transfer the potatoes to the baking tray and roast for 35 minutes, or until they are soft in the center and crispy on the outside.8 medium red potatoes, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, ½ teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sprinkle some feta cheese over top (if you're using it) and a little parsley and serve immediately.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.