Roasted Mini Potatoes with Herbs and Garlic
Don't let their size fool you! These roasted mini potatoes may be small but they're bursting with the flavors of fresh herbs, garlic, and a hint of lemon. They're golden and crispy on the outside with a soft center, making them the perfect easy side dish the whole family will love.
If you love potatoes, also try smoky roast potatoes, crispy garlic smashed red potatoes, and greek lemon potatoes.
These roasted mini potatoes require minimal effort but yield excellent results. There's no peeling or chopping and the cooking time is mostly hands-off meaning you can prepare another dish, do a quick workout, or kick back while they're in the oven. Roasting them brings out the most delicious crispy exterior and fluffy center. They're a crowd-pleaser so they're great for serving to the whole family or to company.
Are mini potatoes healthy?
Many people wonder if potatoes are healthy and the answer is, yes! They're a vegetable and they're loaded with vitamins and nutrients. Keeping the skin on plays an important role; adding extra nutrients but also fiber that keeps blood sugar levels in check. Skip the fries and prepare them using healthy cooking methods like roasting or baking to enjoy all the benefits.
Tips for making the best roasted mini potatoes
- Choosing potatoes – mini potatoes (also known as creamer potatoes) create the perfect balance between crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Cooking them whole with the skin on keeps the steam inside and gives them their distinctly soft center. They come pre-sorted to be similar in size which means they'll cook evenly and in just 30 minutes.
- Mince the garlic well – use a microplane to grate the garlic to a paste. This helps to evenly distribute the garlic throughout the potatoes. Alternatively, you can finely mince the garlic.
- Season well – potatoes are okay on their own but they really shine with the right amount and the right mix of seasoning to enhance their natural flavour.
What you'll need to make these potatoes
- Mini potatoes (also known as creamer potatoes)
- Olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Sea salt
How to make roasted mini potatoes
These are so easy and healthy that they're sure to become a go-to side dish. They're ready in just three easy steps:
- Wash and dry the potatoes, toss them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning then place them on a baking sheet and pop them into your oven.
- After 20 minutes of roasting add some finely minced garlic and roast everything for another 10 minutes (or until soft).
- Finish by topping with minced parsley and a squeeze of lemon and enjoy them hot!
Roasted Mini Potatoes FAQs
You can use any kind of potato diced into small pieces for a delicious dish but the mini potatoes offer a unique flavor and texture. If you can find mini potatoes, we recommend trying them!
You can find mini potatoes year-round in the produce section of most grocery stores. They often come in a bag close to the other potatoes.
Cooking them whole helps give these potatoes their soft center but if you're limited on time then yes, go ahead and slice them.
You can use a sharp knife to mince it into a paste.
We love fresh parsley in this recipe but if you're out you can use dried. Instead of using it at the end, add ½ teaspoon of dried parsley at the same time as the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Serve these with Italian dressing chicken and roasted broccoli for a healthy weeknight dinner.
Popular potato recipes
Roasted Mini Potatoes with Herbs and Garlic
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 ½ lb mini potatoes, also called creamer potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on a Microplane – see notes
- Minced parsley and lemon, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the whole, mini potatoes with olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper then spread them out on a baking sheet and put them into the oven.1 ½ lb mini potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- After 20 minutes, add the garlic to the potatoes and mix well. Return the baking sheet to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and soft.2 cloves garlic
- Serve the roasted mini potatoes with some minced parsley and a squeeze of lemon over the top.
This recipe is part of our Best Spring Side Dishes series.
Can I use garlic paste?
That will work!