Herbs de Provence
Herbs de Provence is a fragrant and versatile blend of herbs used commonly in French cooking. It's a great DIY herb blend to keep on hand as it goes well in so many recipes!
What is herbs de provence?
Herbs de provence (or herbes de provence, if you want to look authentic) is a blend of herbs that are often used in French cooking. You're likely familiar with Italian seasoning; this is the French version.
It's an aromatic and versatile blend that you can reach for whenever you cook chicken, roast veggies, bake fish, or make a soup.
How to make this herbs de provence recipe
While most spice blends are generally available in grocery stores, they taste so much better when you make them yourself. It's a good thing that they're super easy to make!
- Take the herbs out of your spice rack.
- Put 1 tablespoon of each into a bowl and mix them together.
See how easy that was?
Full list of spices is in the recipe card below.
What's in herbs de provence
Herbs de provence is a mix of herbs that you likely have in your pantry right now. While we love using lavender for the pretty purple specks of color, rosemary is very similar in flavor and can be easily used instead.
- Lavender or rosemary
- Bay leaf
How long will this spice mix last?
Dried herbs will keep their flavor for up to two years. While they are safe to eat after that point, they won't be as flavorful.
How long this spice mix will last depends on the freshness of the dried herbs you use. If you dried your own herbs, this mix will last for two years.
How to store dried herbs?
The best way to store dried herbs is to keep them in a sealed container away from light, heat, and humidity. We use ½ and 1-cup Mason jars to store our spice blends. But dark-colored glass jars are even better for the job.
A pantry is often the perfect place to store dried herbs!
Herbs de provence substitute
Many of the herbs in this recipe are also found in Italian seasoning. Most of the time, you can easily substitute one for the other.
When you see a recipe that calls for Italian seasoning, try using this French herb blend instead!
Recipes to use herbs de provence
As this is such a versatile herb blend, you'll have no problem using it all. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Chicken Provençal
- Herbs de Provence Chicken
- On roast potatoes
- Or roast cauliflower
- As a seasoning for baked salmon
- Sprinkled over a salad
Popular spice blends
Herbs de Provence
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon dried savory
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender or rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried tarragon
- Optional: 1 teaspoon dried bay leaf, see notes
- Add the dried spices to a bowl and mix them well.1 tablespoon dried savory, 1 tablespoon dried marjoram, 1 tablespoon dried lavender or rosemary, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried basil, 1 tablespoon dried tarragon, Optional: 1 teaspoon dried bay leaf
- Store in a container in a cool, dark area like your pantry for 6-12 months.