Curried Pumpkin Soup with Maple Ginger Caramelized Onions
Curried pumpkin soup with maple ginger caramelized onions is a warm and cozy fall soup recipe. Serve it in little pumpkins for the cutest dinner party bowls ever.
This curried pumpkin soup is warm and comforting. The spicy curry is mellowed by the sweet pumpkin and the apple.
Although this soup is great on its own, the real star of this show are the maple and ginger caramelized onions. Please don't leave the onions out of the soup.
Like a lover or a best friend, it wouldn't be the same without them.
This curried pumpkin soup is easy enough to make on a chilly weekday evening but will hold its own at the start of a dinner party. Last year at Thanksgiving we carved out fourteen mini pumpkins and ladled the soup into them.
The presentation was well worth the work. Today I sit at my table, surrounded by paperwork, eating the same soup. The presentation isn't so pretty, but the soup is just as satisfying. Well, it's almost as satisfying; I love the presentation, and if I had a mini pumpkin on hand I'd probably hollow it out and ladle my soup into it. Just for fun.
In the past, I've made this soup with almond milk instead of regular milk and it has turned out great. This time when I pulled the milk from the fridge it had turned lumpy and sour. Needless to say that milk went down the drain, and 3 cups of water went into the soup. It still turned out great, so I will probably leave the milk out next time to make this already healthy recipe a little more healthy.
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Popular fall soup recipes
- Detox Sweet Potato Turmeric Soup
- Healthy Creamy Turkey Mushroom Soup
- Crockpot Tuscan Chicken Soup with Proscuitto and Parmesan
- Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Best of Kale Minestrone Soup
Curried Pumpkin Soup with Maple and Ginger Caramelized Onions
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
The Maple Ginger Onions
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- A pinch of sea salt
The Curried Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 15 ounce can unsweetened unseasoned pumpkin , NOT canned pumpkin pie mix!
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 3 cups milk or water, I like to use almond milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Add the oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and cook till very soft and lightly browned, about 5 or 6 minutes.2 tablespoons oil, 1 large yellow onion
- Add the maple syrup, ginger, and sea salt and reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring often, until the onions are thick and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Set aside.¼ cup maple syrup, 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger, A pinch of sea salt
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine the oil, diced onion, ginger, garlic, curry powder, turmeric, red pepper flakes, and the apple. Sauté until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.2 tablespoons oil, 1 large yellow onion, 2 tablespoons chopped ginger, 3 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric, ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 large apple
- Mix in the pumpkin and orange juice, then transfer everything in the soup pot to a food processor or blender. Add the milk or water and puree until smooth.15 ounce can unsweetened unseasoned pumpkin, Juice of 1 large orange, 3 cups milk or water
- Return the soup to the pot and bring to a gentle simmer. Season with salt and pepper.Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls (or mini pumpkins) and top with caramelized onions and croutons. Enjoy!