Oh, sweet delicious pumpkin chili. I heart you.
I'm not exaggerating at all when I say this is my favourite chili I've ever made. It's a cross between my Easy Vegetarian Chili and my Chickpea and Yam Chili and somehow manages to be better than both.
There're soft, sweet pieces of roasted butternut squash, crunchy corn and lots of beans. There's also a full 14-ounce can of pumpkin. You don't taste the pumpkin as much as you feel it. It gives the pumpkin chili an almost creamy texture that takes it over the top.
There's also one of my favourite things in the whole world in this pumpkin chili. Can you guess what that is? You got it … bourbon. Damn I love bourbon. Sometimes a little too much.
I poured a few good glugs in the pot, then took a few good glugs for myself. Straight from the bottle, cuz I'm classy that way.
You might think it was the bourbon that made me fall in love with this pumpkin chili, but no, it's just damn good chili. We ate the last batch over three days and each day it just kept getting better, as chili does.
Will you make a giant pot of pumpkin chili and then invite me over? I'll bring the bourbon. 🙂
Remember when I told you about how mad I was that summer was ripped away so cruelly early this year, a few weeks ago when I shared that pumpkin polenta recipe? Well, I thought I would let you know that I'm finally starting to come around to this whole autumn thing. I know it's October already, and I should be fully onboard, but at least I've stepped onto the platform. Hopefully, I'll catch this train before winter rolls around, although that transition is never as painful.
Anyway, I am truly starting to accept, and even enjoy, the cool autumn sunshine. And knowing that big bowls of pumpkin chili wait for me at home sure doesn't hurt either. Here's a bourbon cheers to you, Autumn. You're not so bad after all. ?
If you make this Chipotle Bourbon Pumpkin Chili recipe make sure you snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create!
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup bourbon
- 1 - 14-ounce can of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 - 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 - 19-ounce can of kidney beans
- 1 19 ounce can of navy beans (or a combination of your favourite beans)
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers pureed with adobo sauce
- 2 cups of corn, cut from 2 cobs or frozen
- Optional garnishes: grated white cheddar, green onions, chili powder
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until it is soft and brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper and continue to cook until the red pepper is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and sea salt and let it cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the bourbon and bring the pot to a boil. Add the canned pumpkin, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, navy beans, butternut squash, pureed chipotle peppers and 2 cups of water and stir the pot well. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, or until the butternut squash is tender. Add the corn to the pot and let it cook for 5 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt.
- Serve the pumpkin chili with the cheddar, green onions, and chili powder, if using.