Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili is as easy as it gets and so delicious. Dump everything into your crockpot then walk away while your dinner cooks itself. Leftovers taste amazing and it freezes very well. This is the ultimate easy, healthy dinner recipe!
We've made a crockpot version of our wildly popular Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe and are so excited to share it with you.
Why you'll love this slow cooker vegetarian chili
- It's the easiest chili you will ever make. ← truth!
- All the flavors you love about the stovetop version without having to stand over the pot and stir stir stir.
- Super versatile. This is the vegetarian chili we make 99% of the time. But sometimes we throw in different veggies or switch up the beans and it always turns out delicious.
- You get to eat a big bowl of vegetables without feeling like you're eating vegetables.
- Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free!
How to make crockpot vegetarian chili
Vegetarian chili is easy to make, but it does require quite a bit of standing at your stove and stirring the pot. That's what's so great about this slow cooker version.
- Put everything into your crockpot and turn it on.
That's it! Seriously.
Unlike our Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe, we add a touch of coconut sugar to this recipe. That's because we skip the step of sauteeing the veggies so they don't have a chance to release their natural sweetness. A little coconut sugar (or whichever sweetener you prefer) adds that missing element.
Add the beans at the beginning or end?
We've done it both ways and prefer to add both the beans and corn at the end. If you add them at the beginning, they will be very soft and start splitting open by the time the chili is ready to eat.
But here's the truth … sometimes we're feeling lazy and don't want to have to think of anything last minute, even if it's just opening a can of beans. On those days, we dump everything into the crockpot at the same time. It's still delicious.
Is this a vegan chili recipe?
Yes! This chili recipe is 100% vegan; no substitutions required.
Best toppings for slow cooker vegetarian chili
While this chili is delicious straight out of the crockpot, it's fun to add some toppings. Some of our favorites are:
- Cheddar cheese.
- Green onions.
- Tortilla chips.
- Corn Chips
- Diced avocado.
- Sour cream.
Favorite meatless chili recipes
- Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Black Bean and Corn Chili with Avocado Salsa
- Vegetarian Chocolate Quinoa Chili
- Chipotle Bourbon Pumpkin Chili
- Chickpea and Yam Chili
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 28-ounce cans of whole tomatoes and their juice, use your hands to roughly crush the tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder, more will be spicier
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, can sub brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- A pinch of chili flakes, optional
- 2 15-ounce cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I like kidney and white beans)
- 2 cups frozen corn, you could use fresh but frozen is easy and works great
- Salt, to taste (we like about 2 teaspoons)
- Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar, green onions, diced avocado, cilantro
- Empty the cans of tomatoes into your slow cooker. Add the celery, peppers, carrots, onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coconut sugar, oregano, and chili flakes and stir well. Cover and turn on your slow cooker for 5-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.2 28-ounce cans of whole tomatoes and their juice, 3 stalks celery, 2 bell peppers, 2 medium carrots, 1 large onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1-2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 tablespoons cumin, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon oregano, A pinch of chili flakes
- Stir in the beans and corn and let them sit for 5 minutes to warm through. Season to taste with sea salt.2 15-ounce cans of beans, 2 cups frozen corn, Salt, Optional toppings: sour cream, cheddar, green onions, diced avocado, cilantro