Sweet Potato Chili with Chickpeas
This sweet potato chili is a vegan chili recipe that's loaded with tender sweet potatoes and hardy chickpeas. We love this healthy chili recipe as it's easy to make and is always a hit at the dinner table.
This sweet potato chili recipe has been a staple around here for years. I first shared the recipe with you years ago after I made it on a camping trip. Since then, we've made it many more times as we love our vegan chili. This veggie-loaded recipe will fill you up and leave you feeling great.
Why sweet potato chili is the best
- Awesomely delicious.
- With tender pieces of sweet potato that add a touch of sweetness to the recipe.
- And carrots, celery, bell peppers, and corn that turn this chili into a big bowl of veggies.
- Also, it's super easy to make.
- And lasts for days in your fridge and only gets better with time. Hello, meal prep!
On its own, or topped with some avocado, red onion, or corn chips (you get the idea) it's a delicious vegan chili recipe. Or you could go wildly in the opposite direction and top this with some Maple Glazed Pork Belly as my good friend, Micheal, once did.
No matter which direction you take, this sweet potato chili will not disappoint.
What to serve with sweet potato chili
This is a one-pot dinner recipe that can easily be eaten and loved all by itself. But we love it even more with a thick slice of well-buttered Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread. Or if we're pulling out all the stops, we'll make a batch of our Cheesy Chili Zucchini Cornbread Muffins with Chili Honey Butter. If you have some spare time on your hands, I highly recommend that you try that recipe!
Our favorite chili toppings:
- Grated cheese
- Corn chips
- Green onions
- Diced avocado
Subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
More vegan chili recipes
- Chipotle Bourbon Pumpkin Chili
- Easy Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Vegetarian Chocolate Quinoa Chili
- Black Bean and Corn Chili with Avocado Salsa
- 15 Bean Soup (soup, but beany like a chili!)
Sweet Potato Chili with Chickpeas
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons EACH: oregano and cumin
- 10 drops liquid smoke, see notes
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, can sub honey or maple syrup
- 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook for 5 minutes. Chop the sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, peppers, and garlic and add them to the pot as you finish cutting them.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 large onion, 2 medium sweet potatoes, 2 medium carrots, 2 stalks celery, 2 bell peppers, 4 cloves garlic
- Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and liquid smoke and mix well. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and stock. Add the coconut sugar and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.¼ cup chili powder, 2 teaspoons EACH: oregano and cumin, 10 drops liquid smoke, 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes, 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, 3 cups vegetable stock or water
- Add the chickpeas and corn to the pot and let them warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, 2 cups frozen corn