This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bacon and cashews are blended right into this paleo cauliflower soup recipe, making it super creamy and delicious. It's a low-carb and Whole30 soup recipe that everyone will love!
Table of contents
This paleo cauliflower soup is packed with flavor, easy to make, and comforting. It's so unbelievably creamy that you'll be amazed that it's a healthy soup recipe. Don't be afraid to go for seconds, this soup is made with good-for-you ingredients.
Why you need this paleo cauliflower soup in your life tonight
- A big bowl of creamy soup that tastes like you've poured a carton of whipping cream into it.
- Not a spot of dairy in sight.
- Bacon. And yes, we can have a little bacon and call this soup healthy. Blended into the soup (yum!) and sprinkled on top (extra yum!)
- It's a pot of low-carb (keto!) magic.
- You can dig into this cauliflower bacon soup while keeping your health goals AND satisfying your inner cozy food cravings. The best of both worlds!
Ingredients in paleo cauliflower soup
Raw cashews – when raw cashews are blended in a high-speed blender they mimic heavy cream. It's a great trick to reduce or eliminate dairy without sacrificing flavor. If you don't have a high-speed blender, use cashew butter instead.
Bacon – we like to use sugar and nitrate-free bacon.
Onion – we use a white onion for mild flavor, but you can use a yellow onion if that's what you have on hand.
Garlic – soup always tastes better with garlic!
Cauliflower – use a medium-sized cauliflower head. Since we're blending it, you can use the white part of the stem, too!
Bone broth – bone broth is incredibly healthy for you. We use our homemade chicken stock but you can use beef bone broth instead for a richer flavor.
Thyme, black pepper, and salt – to season the soup
How to make paleo cauliflower soup
This soup is a breeze to make in just over half an hour.
- Start by soaking the cashews in hot tap water. This will soften them so they'll blend easier.
- Next, cook the bacon until it's crispy.
- Once the bacon is crispy, saute the onion and garlic in some of the bacon oil.
- Now add the cauliflower, bone broth, and seasonings to the pot and let it simmer.
- When the cauliflower is nice and tender, work in batches to puree the soup with the soaked cashews and some of the crispy bacon in your blender or with an immersion blender. After you return the soup to the pot, taste it and add more salt if you'd like.
- To serve your soup, ladle it into bowls and top it with some crispy bacon and a sprinkle of chives.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
Where to find paleo bacon?
The only problem with bacon is that it is often cured with nitrates and sugar. Most of us who lean towards a paleo lifestyle try to avoid those two things as much as possible.
And if you're doing a round of Whole30, they're definitely out.
Luckily, it is possible to find paleo/Whole30-compliant bacon. Well-stocked health food stores (like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's) will often carry some. You'll find it less often at your regular grocery store. Also, check local farms or your farmers' market!
Do you use cashews in any of your other recipes?
Yes! One of our favorite tricks for making soups and sauces rich and creamy is blending cashews. You can also try our cashew coconut salmon curry and our dairy-free pork chops and mushroom soup. They've also made an appearance in a couple of the recipes in the Sugar Free Paleo Dinner Recipes cookbook.
How long does this paleo cauliflower soup last in the fridge?
If you store this soup in an air-tight container in your fridge it will last for 3-4 days.
Can I freeze paleo cauliflower soup?
Yes! This soup freezes very well. Freeze it in an airtight container like these Stasher bags. It will keep fresh tasting for at least 3 months.
Favorite Paleo Soup Recipes
- ½ cup raw cashews (see notes)
- 10 ounces bacon (sliced into 1-inch pieces (sugar-free if needed))
- 1 white onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (chopped)
- 4 cups chicken stock (sugar-free if needed)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Chopped chives and black pepper (to garnish)
- Place the cashews in a jar and cover them with hot tap water.½ cup raw cashews
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a large pot over medium-high heat, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain off all but 2 tablespoons of the oil.10 ounces bacon
- Add the onion to the pot and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.1 white onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the cauliflower, chicken stock, thyme, and pepper to the pot and bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft.1 medium head of cauliflower, 4 cups chicken stock, 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain the water from the cashews and add them to your high-powered blender. Add half the bacon and half the soup and blend on high until smooth. Pour the soup into a new pot then blend the remaining soup and add it to the pot. Bring to a simmer and season the soup to taste with sea salt.Sea salt
- Serve the soup topped with the remaining bacon, some chopped chives, and a little black pepper.Chopped chives and black pepper
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.
For more inspiration, check out all of our paleo recipes!