This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cashew Soup tastes like it's loaded with cream, but it's 100% dairy-free. It's an easy to make soup recipe that's healthy enough for a clean eating detox but won't leave you feeling like you're missing out.
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup coming atcha! Juuuust joking. I would never do that to you guys. Could you even imagine? Ha!
Not going to lie, that greyish, mushroom flavored jelly that shlops from a can was a childhood favorite of mine. I'd top mine with all the crumbled saltine crackers I could get my hands on and eat the whole can to myself. Also, if you put a bowl in front of me and of a pile of crackers on the side, I'll totally eat the whole thing and be your best friend forever. #truth
But hey, we're adults now and we can fancy it up. Or not. That's the thing about this Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup, it can be whatever you want it to be.
♡ Fav childhood soup – checkmark.
♡ Pretty dinner party starter – you got it.
♡ Weeknight I need dinner now – 20 mins and this bowl of soup is yours.
See those cashews and sweetly sauteed onions and mushrooms up there in the blender? They're about to become your Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup. And you, my friend, are about to become one happy camper.
Why you need this soup:
- It is everything creamy and mushroomy and delicious.
- It is healthy. But honestly, guys, let's move that down to the bottom of the list and focus on the real reasons you need this soup.
- All your childhood lunch dreams blended up into one magic soup.
- Make doubles. Fancy it up tonight with sprinkles of mushrooms and thyme and serve it to your besties with glasses of chilled wine and lots of good conversation. Warm up the leftovers tomorrow and eat them in your sweatpants on the couch while binge watching Netflix.
- Be a badass domestic goddess and meal prep this soup on Sunday and have days of killer lunches.
- It is so creamy and mushroomy. Yes, it's worth mentioning that twice.
How to make your Cashew Soup with Mushrooms
1 Put some raw cashews in a jar and fill the jar with water. Pop the jar in your fridge.
2. Saute some mushrooms, onions, and garlic until everything is nicely browned. Season them with some sea salt, black pepper, and a little thyme.
3. Put those cashews you were soaking into your blender. Add the mushrooms and onions and a little water and blend those babies until they're creamy and smooth.
4. Pour your soup back into the pot, add enough water so it's just how thick you like it. Heat it up and you're done. See how crazy easy that was?
If you love this Cashew Cream of Mushroom Soup as much as I do, make sure to give it a 5-star rating in the comments below!
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 ounces mushrooms (chopped)
- ½ onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups water (divided)
- Place the cashews in a jar and fill the jar with water. Seal the jar and place it in your fridge for 2-24 hours. (If you have a high-powered blender, you can soak the cashews for the time the mushrooms and onions are cooking)2 cups raw cashews
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the mushrooms until they have released their liquid and are just starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion, and cook until it is soft and light brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sea salt, thyme, and black pepper and cook for 1 minute more.1 tablespoon olive oil, 20 ounces mushrooms, ½ onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Transfer the mushrooms to your blender. Drain and rinse the cashews and put them into your blender. Add 3 cups of water and blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour your soup back into the pot, add one more cup of water and reheat it gently. Season to taste with extra sea salt and black pepper.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.