This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Cozy up with a bowl of this creamy tomato carrot soup. It makes a delicious lunch or light dinner and tastes great with grilled cheese. It's easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, and it's ready in just 30 minutes!
This tasty tomato soup with carrots is creamy and smooth, with a wonderful sweetness from carrots. It's a vibrant and nourishing spin on classic tomato soup that's perfect for adding nutrition, and using up springtime carrots. It doesn't require much effort to make, and it's much healthier than store-bought soups.
To make it, start by sautéing the onions, carrots, and garlic. Add in the stock, tomatoes, and seasonings and simmer until the carrots are fork-tender. Blend it all up until smooth and then stir in the cream. We love to serve it topped with minced fresh basil or parsley.
It's a thicker soup that feels substantial so it's perfect for lunch or a light dinner with a sandwich, grilled cheese, or our easy-to-make grilled cheese croutons!
Tomato carrot soup ingredient notes
This tasty carrot and tomato soup is easy to make with some fresh carrots and a few basic ingredients you're likely to have in your kitchen. Here's everything you need:
- Olive oil – we like the flavor of olive oil, but you can use a different kind of oil or even butter.
- Carrots – we love to make this soup when carrots are fresh and in season, but any carrots will work!
- Onion + garlic – for that classic savory flavor base.
- Chicken stock – for the best flavor, we use our homemade chicken stock, but vegetable stock works too for a vegetarian version. Store-bought stock also works in a pinch.
- Crushed tomatoes – we use canned crushed tomatoes for this recipe. If you love the smoky sweet taste of fire-roasted tomatoes, they taste great too!
- Sea salt – you can be generous with the amount of salt you use. It helps bring out the flavors of this vegetable-based soup.
- Dried thyme – thyme has a delicate, earthy flavor that adds some complexity to this soup.
- Cream – a bit of cream balances out the acidity of the tomatoes and makes this soup creamy.
- Basil or parsley – fresh minced herbs added right before serving really brighten up the flavor.
How to make tomato carrot soup
All you need is a pot and a blender to make this tomato carrot soup. It makes a delicious lunch, light dinner, or quick snack. Here's how to make it in a couple of simple steps:
- Sauté the carrots and onions until the onions are translucent, then add the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, salt, and thyme and simmer until the carrots are soft.
- Blend the soup in your blender or using an immersion blender.
- Stir in the cream, then taste and adjust the salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve. Yum!
Tips for making the best tomato carrot soup
This soup is simple to make but here are a few tips to make sure it's a success:
- Make sure to season it well with salt and pepper. The seasoning is key to a tasty soup!
- Be careful when transferring the hot soup to the blender, and use a ladle if necessary.
- If you're using a regular blender, you may need to work in batches.
- Use a nice quality canned tomato for a great-tasting soup!
- The best soups are always made with bone broth. It's easy to make and stores well in your freezer. If you don't have bone broth, you may want to add a little more salt, pepper, and cream to make the soup taste a little richer.
How long does this soup last in the fridge?
Store any leftover tomato carrot soup in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Can I freeze it?
We often meal-prep a big batch of this carrot tomato soup and freeze some for later. Since cream tends to separate when frozen, we freeze it without the cream. Store it in an airtight container or reusable silicone bag for up to 3 months!
Can I use diced tomatoes or whole tomatoes?
You sure can! This recipe is pretty flexible so you can use any 28-ounce can of tomatoes that you have on hand.
What to serve with tomato carrot soup
Enjoy this creamy carrot tomato soup on its own as a light lunch or dinner, or pair it with your favorite sandwich or salad for a more substantial meal. In the pictures, we serve it with sliced baguette topped with melted cheese and herbs. It also tastes great with our grilled cheese croutons, which are always a hit with kids!
Sandwiches that taste great with soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium carrots (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed )
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 teaspoon salt (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup cream
- Minced basil or parsley (to serve)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute more.2 tablespoons olive oil, 4 medium carrots, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic
- Add the tomatoes, stock, salt, and thyme and bring the pot to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until the carrots are soft.2 cups chicken stock, 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, 1-2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Working in batches, blend the soup until it's smooth then return it to the pot. (You can also use an immersion blender.)
- Stir the cream into the soup then season to taste with extra salt and pepper, if needed.½ cup cream
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.