Broccoli Cheese Soup
This is our favorite broccoli cheese soup. The flavor is simply incredible. It's creamy, cheesy, and has the perfect amount of broccoli bites hiding in the thick soup. We lighten it up by eliminating the usual flour and butter roux and the cream, but you will never know that this is a healthier version.
Broccoli cheese soup
We're big-time broccoli cheese soup fans here – especially if someone else makes it so we can forget about the less than stellar usual list of ingredients. That's why we decided to make our own version that is much healthier than the original.
But you'll NEVER guess that we've taken out the cream and flour. Instead, we add a potato (yay for extra veggies!) to the simmering soup. Once it's blended, the soup becomes just as thick and creamy as the old-fashioned cream and flour version.
Melting aged cheddar cheese (is there any other kind?) into the soup gives it the best flavor and makes it super cheesy.
How to make broccoli and cheese soup
You'll love how easy it is to make broccoli and cheddar cheese soup!
- Start by sautéing onions and garlic in a little butter.
- Now add the chopped broccoli stems, a diced potato, and the stock and simmer until everything is nice and soft.
- Pop half of the broccoli florets into the pot. After letting them cook for a couple of minutes, blend the soup with an immersion blender. (You can use a regular blender, too!)
- To finish the soup, stir the remaining broccoli florets and cheese into the pot. A few minutes later, the broccoli will be soft and you can taste the soup to see if you'd like to add more salt.
And just like that, you've made broccoli cheddar soup!
Full recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
How long does broccoli cheese soup last?
This soup will keep well in a covered container in your fridge for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze broccoli cheese soup?
Yes! Broccoli and cheese soup freezes very well. Let it cool completely before transferring it to freezer-safe bags. We've found that the best way to store soup is in these reusable Stasher freezer bags.
What to serve with broccoli cheese soup?
Like most soup recipes, this one can easily be served on its own for a complete and filling meal. But we love dunking bread into soup so will often serve some on the side. Try it with our no yeast bread with herbs and cheese or our whole wheat Irish soda bread!
Broccoli and cheddar soup is also great with sandwiches. Here are a few of our favs:
- Easy Warm Bruschetta
- Grilled Cheese and Apple Sandwich with Sriracha Butter
- Roast Beef Sandwich with Spicy Mayo Radishes
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon, Tomato and Basil
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich with Southwest Slaw
Popular soup recipes
- Healthier Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Taco Soup Recipe
- Carrot Soup with Coconut and Ginger
- Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas Soup)
- Italian Sausage Soup
Broccoli Cheese Soup
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 heads broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of your knife
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Chop the broccoli stems and set them aside. Chop the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces.2 heads broccoli
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.2 tablespoons butter, 2 medium onions, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the broccoli stems, potato, chicken stock, salt, and pepper to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.1 medium russet potato, 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1 teaspoon EACH: sea salt and pepper
- Add HALF the broccoli florets and simmer the soup for another 5 minutes, or until the potato and broccoli stems are soft. Blend the soup using an immersion blender or carefully working in batches with a regular blender.
- Add the remaining broccoli and the cheddar cheese to the pot and stir well. Let the broccoli cook for 3-4 minutes to soften the broccoli.8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
This recipe is part of our Best Spring Side Dishes series.