This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Celery soup is a 6-ingredient soup recipe that is healthy, cozy, and delicious. It's a budget-friendly recipe that takes 30 minutes to make and is always a hit at the table.
A head of celery will last for AGES in your crisper. If you've discovered a bunch of celery that you bought then forgot about, this is a great recipe to transform it into something delicious. It's also low in calories and full of vitamins and antioxidants, which makes this a healthy veggie soup recipe.
Why we love this celery soup recipe
- It's creamy without having to add cream. (We use potatoes instead.)
- From start to finish you'll have this soup ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
- Made with ingredients that you'll likely find in your fridge and pantry right now.
- It's high in cozy vibes.
- Read: this is as close to a hug as your going to get from dinner.
- Pairs ridiculously well with our favorite easy Irish soda bread or our no yeast bread with herb and cheese.
How to make celery soup
This is one of the most simple soup recipes.
- Quickly saute the onion and garlic.
- Add the celery, potatoes, and stock and simmer until the veggies are soft.
- Blend then season with salt and pepper.
READ MORE: Asparagus Soup
Is this a cream of celery soup recipe
Technically, cream of celery soup has (you guessed it!) cream in the ingredients. Instead of cream, this recipe uses potatoes to make the soup beautifully creamy.
Can I freeze celery for soup?
Yes! When you thaw frozen celery, it will turn limp. But it still works great in blended recipes, like this celery soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter (olive oil for vegan, ghee for Whole30)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 8 cups chopped celery (about 12 stalks)
- 1 lb potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Optional ½ cup parsley (for color)
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- To serve: dill and sour cream
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.2 tablespoons butter, 1 medium onion, 4 cloves garlic
- Add the celery, potatoes, and stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and celery are soft.8 cups chopped celery, 1 lb potatoes, 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Add the parsley to the pot (if using) then blend the soup either with an immersion blender or in small batches in your blender. Season to to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh dill over top.Optional ½ cup parsley, Sea salt and pepper, To serve: dill and sour cream
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.