Asparagus soup is a simple spring recipe that is cozy, nourishing, and delicious. It is a healthy cream of asparagus soup that is made creamy with potatoes rather than cream so you can feel good about eating a second bowl.
Why we love asparagus soup
- It's the ultimate spring recipe.
- Both warm and cozy AND light and fresh.
- With a gentle asparagus flavor.
- Made creamy with potatoes.
- Read: a healthy, no cream recipe.
How to make asparagus soup
This is a very easy soup recipe. Here's how you make it:
- Briefly saute chopped onions and garlic.
- Add the asparagus, potatoes, and stock and let it simmer until the veggies are soft.
- To make the soup a prettier color, add a handful of spinach or parsley to the pot then blend the soup.
Now ladle the soup into a bowl, thickly butter a slice of bread, and dip dip dip.
READ MORE: Cozy Celery Soup
What to serve with asparagus soup
We love this soup with a thick slice of buttered Whole Wheat Irish Soda Bread. But when we're not doing the classic soup and bread combo, these are some of our favorite things to put on top of the soup:
- Crispy crumbled bacon (YES!)
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Parmesan cheese
- A drizzle of lemon oil
- Or a squeeze of lemon juice
- Croutons – bonus points if they're cheesy croutons
Can you freeze asparagus soup
Yes! Asparagus soup freezes very well. Simply let the soup cool then pour it into bags. For freezing soups, like love these big reusable Stasher freezer bags.
More asparagus recipes
- Roasted Asparagus
- Sauteed Asparagus with Garlic and Parmesan
- Asparagus Salad with Reduced Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Asparagus Goat Cheese and Cherry Tomato Breakfast Tart
- One Pan Lemony Greek Chicken with Potatoes and Asparagus
Remember to subscribe to THE ENDLESS MEAL'S NEWSLETTER for FREE to get healthy and delicious recipes each week + our cookbook!
Easy Soup Recipes
- Cozy Celery Soup
- Carrot Soup with Coconut and Ginger
- Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Best Kale Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Coconut Curried Cauliflower Soup
Asparagus Soup Recipe
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 tablespoon butter, olive oil for dairy-free
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped (save a few tips if you'd like them for garnish)
- 1 lb white potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Optional: ½ cup spinach or parsley, for color
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Juice from ½ lemon, optional
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until it is translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.1 tablespoon butter, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the asparagus, potatoes, and stock to the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.1 lb asparagus, 1 lb white potatoes, 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Add the spinach (if using) to the pot then blend the soup either with an immersion blender or carefully in small batches in a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If using, stir in the lemon juice.Optional: ½ cup spinach or parsley, Salt and pepper, Juice from ½ lemon
Easy to make, simple ingredients, accurate prep and cook times, and the end result was delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe Kristen.
Is this freezer friendly?
Yes! This freezes very well.
I have made this many times. It is delicious and easy to make.
A healthy soup that is yummy…a plus 😊
I made this today. Very nice.
This soup was perfect. Simple to make and the flavor was great. Will make it again!
That’s wonderful to hear!