Roasted Squash Soup with Chorizo and Vegetables
I swear that some of the best food ending up on my dining table is made from a fridge full of food that needs to be used up. I really hate throwing food away so at least once a week I'm forced to get a little extra creative. You know that thought, “what am I ever going to do with all that leftover squash that I really don't feel like eating and those veggies that are just a little flimsy?” The answer: Roasted Squash Soup with Chorizo Sausage and Vegetables.
This roasted squash soup could be made with any type of squash and any assortment of veggies. It's the perfect excuse to clear out your fridge. In place of the chorizo you could use any type of sausage or even bacon. Leave it out and you'll have yourself a tasty vegan soup.
This soup is super rich and creamy and can easily be eaten by itself as a meal. I served it with some grilled sourdough topped with parsley pesto (using up a huge bunch of parsley) and shaved parmesan. I think it would be great with a beet and kale salad too.
If you make Roasted Squash and Vegetable Soup with Chorizo Sausage make sure to snap a pic and tag @theendlessmeal on Instagram so I can like and comment on your photos. I love seeing TEM recipes you create.Print
Roasted Squash Soup with Chorizo and Vegetables is the perfect autumn soup. This easy to make soup can be made with what's in your fridge right now.
- 4 cups roasted squash (I used a kaboucha squash but you can use any winter squash you like)
- 1 large onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- Water or stock to cover squash
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- 1–2 large chorizo sausages, diced
- Oil as necessary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add a small splash of oil. Add chorizo sausage and cook stirring occasionally until browned on 2 sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onions to the same pot, adding more oil if necessary. Cook for 1 minute then add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the roasted squash and enough water or stock to cover.
- Using an immersion blender, thoroughly blend the soup. (If you do not have an immersion blender you can also use a regular blender. Work in batches and make sure the soup is not too hot when you are blending it.)
- Bring soup to a simmer then add in the remaining vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft but still have a slight crunch. Remove from heat.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and stir in chorizo.
To roast a squash, cut the squash in half, clean out the seeds and lay it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20-40 minutes, or until a knife can easily be inserted through the skin. Once the squash is cool enough to handle, cut the skin off and cut it into cubes for this soup.