This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This coconut margarita is creamy, cool, and full of tropical flavor. Just one sip will make you feel like you're on a sunny beach vacation. It's super easy to make using canned coconut milk, and it's ready in just 5 minutes!
If you're one of those people that has a hard time choosing between a classic margarita and a piña colada, this coconut margarita recipe is for you! It's got the creamy cool tropical vibe of a piña colada, with the familiar citrusy zing of a margarita. It's light and sweet and perfect for hot days.
You don't need any fancy ingredients to make it. Just some canned coconut milk, honey, tequila, and lime juice. Okay, and maybe some desiccated coconut and sea salt for the rim if you want to get fancy.
To make it, start by rimming your glass with some honey and dipping it in some salted toasty coconut. We don't recommend skipping this step. While it is optional, it adds a fun and delicious element to this drink.
Next, mix the honey and hot water together until it dissolves, add all the ingredients to a shaker or jar and shake well. Strain it into your glass, and that's it!
A coconut margarita is the perfect cocktail for sipping by the pool or somewhere in the sun. It's a fun drink to make for parties, and you may find yourself mixing it up all summer long!
What's in a coconut margarita?
Unlike many coconut margarita recipes, you only need a few simple ingredients that are easy to find at the grocery store. You may even have them in your pantry! Here's everything you need:
- Honey + hot water – honey and hot water make a honey simple syrup to sweeten this drink. You can also use agave nectar instead of honey.
- Coconut milk – we like the richness that full-fat canned coconut milk gives this margarita, but low-fat works too. Both will make the drink nice and creamy, plus you probably already have some in your cupboard!
- White tequila – white tequila, also known as silver tequila or blanco tequila, is the purest form of tequila. It's clear in color and made for mixing. If you prefer the taste of a reposado tequlia, you can use that instead.
- Lime juice – only fresh lime juice will do here!
- Lime slice – for garnish.
Here's what you need for the salted toasted coconut rim:
- Desiccated coconut – desiccated coconut is coconut meat that has been flaked or shredded and then dried. It has a finer texture than most shredded coconut, which is ideal for the rim of the glass.
- Sea salt – a bit of salt gives the rim that salty-sweet taste!
- Honey – honey helps the coconut stick to the rim. You can also use agave syrup, if you prefer.
How to make a coconut margarita
Coconut margaritas are really simple to make, which is perfect for maximizing your time in the sun. Here's how to make one in a couple of easy steps:
- To start, make the salted toasted coconut. You'll want to mince the coconut as finely as possible, then brown it on the stovetop in a small pan.
- Brush the rim of your glass with honey, then dip it into the toasted coconut flakes.
- Mix the honey with the hot water until it dissolves.
- Now shake, shake, shake the honey syrup, coconut milk, tequila, and lime juice with ice in a shaker or jar.
- Strain it into your glass, and garnish with a lime slice or lime wedge. Cheers!
When to serve a coconut margarita
Coconut margaritas are a delicious and delightful cocktail recipe you can drink all summer long. They're perfect for patio sipping, by the pool, at parties, or anytime you feel like something creamy and cool.
Can I use coconut cream or cream of coconut?
We haven't tried making this recipe with coconut cream, but it's likely to be too thick for this drink. If you have cream of coconut, you can certainly use that instead but omit the honey syrup because it's already sweetened.
Can I make it ahead of time?
You can certainly rim the glasses and prepare the honey syrup ahead of time, but wait until you're ready to serve it to shake it with ice.
How do I make a pitcher of coconut margarita?
It's easy to make a pitch of coconut margarita. For the coconut milk, tequila, and lime juice, just use cups instead of ounces. For the honey syrup, start with ¼ cup of honey and ¼ cup of hot water. Adjust the amounts if you prefer a sweeter drink.
What's the best glass to use?
We like to use a rocks glass like in the pictures, but you can also use margarita glasses if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon EACH: honey and hot water
- 2 ounces full-fat coconut milk
- 2 ounces white tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- Salted toasted coconut rim (recipe below)
- Lime slice (to garnish)
Salted Toasted Coconut Rim
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Begin by making the coconut salt. Mince the coconut as fine as possible then put it into a small pan over medium heat. Let it toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring often, until it is golden brown. Mix in the salt.¼ cup desiccated coconut, 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Brush a little honey on the rim of a glass and then dip the sticky rim into the toasted coconut salt.1 teaspoon honey
- In a small cup, mix the honey with hot tap water.1 tablespoon EACH: honey and hot water
- Put a handful of ice in a cocktail shaker or jar. Add the honey mixed with water, coconut milk, tequila, and lime juice and shake well.2 ounces full-fat coconut milk, 2 ounces white tequila, 1 ounce lime juice
- Strain your coconut margarita into the glass and garnish with a slice of lime.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.