This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you could invite a strawberry margarita to any fiesta, she'd be the fun, tart-sweet, colorful one that everyone wants to talk to! This strawberry margarita recipe is super easy to make, and if you bring this to any summer party, you'll be the one everyone wants to talk to!
This strawberry margarita is the fancy cousin to the classic margarita. It looks inviting in any glass, and uses homemade strawberry simply syrup to give it a summertime fruity, sweet punch. You can make this strawberry margarita recipe for one or easily turn it into a pitcher, for an instant crowd-pleaser!
How to make a strawberry margarita
This recipe comes together in 10 minutes with just 4 simple steps:
- Make the strawberry simple syrup: Add the strawberries, sugar, and water together in a pot over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool. Strain it through a fine-mesh sieve then skim off any foam from the top of the syrup.
- Prepare your glass: Using a lime wedge, wet the rim of the glass and dip it in salt. Pop a bunch of ice into your glass.
- Shake it up: Using a cocktail shaker, add a handful of ice, tequila, lime juice, and strawberry simple syrup and give it a good shake.
- Serve: Stir until it's cold and then strain the margarita mixture into your prepared glass.
How to make a strawberry margarita on the rocks
If you want to serve this margarita “on the rocks”, all you have to do is add ice cubes to the glass and pour the strained strawberry margarita mix over it.
How to make a frozen strawberry margarita
A delicious variation of the strawberry margarita is to blend everything together with some ice to make frozen summer cocktails. By adding everything to the blender, your strawberry margarita will become a boozy, tropical slushy!
If you're blending your strawberry margarita, try adding some of the strawberries from the syrup. They'll give your marg extra strawberry flavor and help to thicken it!
Watch us make a strawberry margarita!
Add-ins and garnishes for your strawberry margarita
There are a lot of flavor combos you can try with this recipe depending on the profile you wish to achieve for this drink:
- Berries: You can incorporate other berries into the simple syrup, like raspberries and blackberries. You can also add more berries as a garnish.
- Fresh limes: For an even more citrus zing, you can add fresh limes as a garnish.
- Orange: Strawberry-orange-lime is a delicious combination! You can add some orange juice to the mix to add more sweetness, or include orange peels to the glass.
- Mint: This will add a cool, fresh flavor to your drink. You can add a couple of leaves to your drink to achieve this.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen strawberries for the simple syrup?
You sure can! Add them to the pot frozen then add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
What if I don't have a cocktail shaker?
No cocktail shaker? No problem! You can use a jar to stir the ingredients – it's what we usually use.
Can I substitute the tequila for another alcohol?
You can use different types of alcohol, like rum or gin, to make a delicious cocktail. Just know that it won't have the same margarita flavor that is associated with the tequila version. But it will still be delicious!
How do I turn this recipe into a pitcher of strawberry margaritas?
The easiest way to change a single drink into a pitcher is to convert ounces to cups. In this instance, you'll need 2 cups of white tequila, 1 cup of fresh lime juice, and 1 cup of strawberry syrup.
- Salt (to rim the glass)
- 2 ounces white tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice (fresh is best!)
- 1 ounce strawberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- Fresh strawberries and lime slice (to garnish)
Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Begin by making the strawberry simple syrup. Add the strawberries, sugar, and water to a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool. Strain it through a fine-mesh sieve then skim off any foam from the top of the syrup.1 cup chopped strawberries, 1 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup water
- Wet the rim of a glass with a slice of lime and then dip it into salt. Fill the glass with ice.Salt
- Put a handful of ice into a cocktail shaker or jar then add the tequila, lime juice, and strawberry simple syrup.2 ounces white tequila, 1 ounce lime juice, 1 ounce strawberry simple syrup
- Stir until it's cold and then strain it into your prepared glass. Garnish with strawberries and a lime slice.Fresh strawberries and lime slice
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.