Coffee Margarita (Espresso Margarita)
It's not every day that tequila and coffee meet, but this coffee margarita is a real treat! It's tequila, lime juice, and coffee liqueur mixed together with our two-ingredient homemade coffee simple syrup. It's refreshingly smooth and it's ready in about 5 minutes!
It's no secret that we love margaritas. If you do too, try our fizzy lime margarita, champagne margarita, or fresh pineapple margarita.
Table of contents
This coffee margarita is the best of both worlds. It's a refreshing and unique cocktail for coffee lovers and margarita lovers alike.
When we came up with the idea for a coffee margarita, we wanted it to taste like a classic margarita, but with a kick of coffee flavor. We didn't want an espresso cocktail made with tequila, we wanted a margarita.
We tested three versions of the recipe before settling on this one. Each version had two parts tequila and one part lime juice, but the sweetener varied.
We felt a bit like Goldilocks in the process. First, we tried just coffee liqueur and it was a little too boozy. Then we tried just coffee simple syrup, and it was a little too sweet. Lastly, we tried a combination of half coffee liqueur with half coffee simple syrup and it was just right!
The winning combination has just the right amount of coffee flavor (without being overwhelming), balanced by a bit of booziness and the sweet-tart taste of lime and syrup.
This espresso margarita is fun and unique and it's perfect for brunch parties, Cinco de Mayo, or anytime you're after something deliciously different.
Coffee margarita ingredients
You only need five simple ingredients to make this refreshing espresso margarita recipe. Here's everything you need:
- Tequila – we recommend a sipping-quality tequila for this recipe. It doesn't have to be expensive, but since it's a spirit-forward cocktail, use something that you enjoy the taste of. We use silver tequila for its clear color and clean taste.
- Lime juice – only fresh lime juice will do!
- Coffee liqueur – a coffee-flavored liqueur like Kahlua or Tia Maria will give this cocktail a light coffee taste.
- Coffee simple syrup – you only need two ingredients for the sweet coffee-flavored syrup.
Here's what you need to make the two-ingredient coffee simple syrup:
- Brewed coffee – any type of brewed coffee will work as well as espresso or cold brew.
- Sugar – we use granulated sugar because it's clear and dissolves easily, but cane sugar works as well.
How to make a coffee margarita
Here's how to make this coffee margarita recipe in a few easy steps:
- Start by making the coffee simple syrup. All that you have to do is warm the coffee and sugar in a pan until the sugar dissolves and then let it cool slightly before using it.
- Next, get the ingredients nice and cold by stirring the tequila, lime juice, coffee liqueur, and coffee syrup with ice in a cocktail shaker or jar.
- Rim your glass with salt and fill it with ice.
- Pour the mixed margarita into the glass, and serve it with a lime wedge.
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
How to make more coffee simple syrup
The coffee simple syrup recipe makes enough for one cocktail, but it's really easy to scale up the recipe to make more. Simply use two parts coffee to one part sugar. For example, use two cups of coffee with one cup of sugar. Store any leftover syrup in your fridge for up to three weeks!
Definitely! Store it in an airtight container or jar in your fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Yes, you can. Espresso will give the drink a stronger coffee flavor, but it works equally well. You can also use cold brew.
Our preference for this coffee margarita is blanco (also called silver or white tequila), but reposado will work as well for a more dynamic margarita.
When to serve a coffee margarita
An espresso margarita is a bold, complex, and refreshing drink that's perfect for Cinco de Mayo, brunch parties, or anytime you are after something different and delicious!
More delicious coffee-flavored cocktails
Tasty margarita recipes
Coffee Margarita (Espresso Margarita)
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua
- ½ ounce coffee simple syrup, recipe below
Coffee Simple Syrup
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Put a handful of ice into a cocktail mixer or glass jar. Add the tequila, lime juice, coffee liqueur, and coffee simple syrup and stir until it's cold.2 ounces tequila, 1 ounce lime juice, ½ ounce coffee liqueur, ½ ounce coffee simple syrup
- Wet the rim of a glass by rubbing a cut lime on it and then dip it into some salt. Add a handful of ice to the glass.
- Pour the margarita into the glass and garnish with a slice of lime.
Coffee Simple Syrup
- Warm the coffee and sugar in a small pan over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Let the syrup cool before using it. See notes.2 tablespoons brewed coffee, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
This is fantastic! I love coffee and I love drinks. It’s like you read my mind.
I made one of these margaritas last night for taco night and it was fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Sharing this with some friends who I know will love it!
I never would’ve thought to combine a margarita with the flavor of coffee, but this drink is absolutely incredible! The coffee gives it such a rich depth. A new favorite for sure!
This cocktail looks refreshing and gorgeous. Thanks for the quick recipe.
This cocktail is really fun and different — tasty, too!
This was so yummy! The perfect cocktail for our girls night this weekend.
I’ve totally shared this with some friends who I know will love it!
So perfect for a mid-week cocktail boost. Love the flavors!
Oh my word. These are incredible! I could drink 10, if I could walk after that! Thanks for a delicious cocktail recipe