Summer Veggie Grilled Steak Tacos
These CRAZY delicious Grilled Steak Tacos are the ultimate summer BBQ recipe. Inspired by Mexican carne asada, the steak is marinated till flavorful and tender then grilled over high heat so the outside is charred and the inside remains pink. The tacos are piled high with steak and grilled summer veggies for an easy to make and healthy dinner recipe that everyone will love.
Friends! I'm so excited to share this post with you today. I know, I tend to get ridic excited/ borderline overenthusiastic when it comes to good food. Honestly, I'm so happy (slash don't know how) you guys put up with me. I just can't help sharing the things I love with you.
There are two big reasons why I'm extra excited about today's post. (jumping up and down right now.)
- Tacos! I think we should start a petition to have them recategorized as a proper food group. You know, like reinvent the outdated food pyramid and add an extra bottom layer just for tacos. What do you think? Are you in?
- Steak! It wasn't all that may days ago that I said the blog is in serious need of some more steak recipes. Changing that fast. There's virtually nothing as amazing as the smell of steaks on a BBQ. Even during my 14 steak-free vegetarian years, I would still drool over steak on a grill.
Let's talk about these steak tacos …
These are the ultimate summertime tacos. I mean, did you see that picture?
Those babies are loaded with delish grilled summer veggies then piled with steak and mango salsa and a million other toppings until they are out. of. controoooool.
Seriously, how is it even possible to responsibly fill a taco shell? By the time I get through piling every ingredient I can think of onto the tiny tortilla, everything's spilling over the sides and there's no chance of picking it up. I end up looking like a cavewoman eating half the toppings with my hands before I can even get to the taco part. #sonevergrowingup
Do you see all those toppings exploding all over the place? They're so good! We've got grilled zucchini, radishes, peppers, and corn. We've got mangos. We've got feta, which it turns out should be on every taco from now until the end of time. There are creamy avocados and the salty/ spicy reduced marinade. ← this is a real thing.
And there's steak. Oh man … the steak is amazeballs.
Can that be dinner every night for the rest of our lives? #yesplease
That beauty you're looking at is a flank steak that's been marinated overnight then flash grilled over high heat, carne asada-style. Flank steak is super flavorful, but it's a tougher cut that needs to be prepared right. Don't worry, it's super easy. Here's what you're going to do:
- Let it swim around in an easy to make marinade.
- Slice it against the grain.
That's it! See how easy it was to make that tough cut melt-in-your-mouth steak taco worthy?
You can also use flat iron steak (like I used in the video) or skirt steak. All three make excellent carne asada steak tacos and should all be prepared the same way.
How to make steak tacos
- Make a simple marinade with some juice and a few spices. Put the steak in a bag and pour the marinade over the top. Put the bag into your fridge and go pour yourself a beer.
- Fire up the grill.
- Grill the veggies. Grill the steak. Warm up the tortillas on … you guessed it … the grill.
- Load your taco with all those veggies and steak and top it with mango, feta, and avocados.
- Try your best to pick up that overstuffed steak taco. Ha! Give up and eat the toppings with your hands.
Watch the steak tacos video!
Healthy Taco Recipes:
- Baja Fish Tacos with Southern Slaw and Aji Guacamole
- Grilled Jerk Chicken Tacos with Kiwi Salsa
- Crock Pot Pork Tacos with Crunchy Carrot Slaw
- Chipotle Pulled Pork Tacos
- Smoky Mushroom Breakfast Tacos
Grilled Steak Tacos with Summer Veggies
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons EACH: olive oil, brown sugar, and soy sauce, (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon EACH: ground cumin, ground coriander, and sea salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 lb flat iron steak, skirt steak, or flank steak
- Optional: 2 extra teaspoons of brown sugar
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 ear corn
- 1 bunch radishes, cut in half
- Any or all other summer veggies. Asparagus, peas, broccoli, tomatoes …
- Cooking oil, for the veggies
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- 12 small corn tortillas
- In a small bowl, whisk the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, cumin, coriander, garlic, and sea salt. Place the steak in a baking dish and pour in the marinade. Place it in your fridge and let it marinate for 3-24 hours. Note: put a tea towel under the bag in case it leaks a little.1 cup orange juice, ¼ cup lime juice, 2 tablespoons EACH: olive oil, brown sugar, and soy sauce, 1 teaspoon EACH: ground cumin, ground coriander, and sea salt, 4 cloves garlic, 1 lb flat iron steak, skirt steak, or flank steak
- Preheat the grill to high. Make sure it is very very hot. Take the steak out of the marinade and place it on a plate and pour the marinade into a small pan. If you're using it, sprinkle the optional brown sugar over the steak. This will help it to char better.Optional: 2 extra teaspoons of brown sugar
- Place the steak on the BBQ and grill for 3-4 minutes per side. Take the steak off and set it aside to rest. Slice thinly across the grain.
- Toss the veggies in oil and BBQ until tender. Warm the tortillas on the grill.2 bell peppers, 1 zucchini, 1 ear corn, 1 bunch radishes, Any or all other summer veggies. Asparagus, peas, broccoli, tomatoes …
- While the veggies are grilling, bring the reserved marinade to a boil and boil rapidly until reduced to a thin syrup.
- Pile the veggies and steak onto the tortillas, top with mango, avocado, feta, and a little drizzle of the reduced marinade.1 mango, 1 avocado, ¼ cup feta cheese, 12 small corn tortillas