This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These delicious Chicken Carnitas Tacos are made with leftover rotisserie chicken. That's right: super easy dinner alert. They’re easy to make and super delicious. You will LOVE them!
I feel a little funny sharing a recipe for chicken carnitas that is made with rotisserie chicken. It was only a year ago that I had my first bite of a tender, salty, and delicious supermarket chicken. Before then I thought I was too cool for rotisserie chicken. (Hanging head in shame.)
I had this idea in my head that buying a rotisserie chicken was a cop-out. My ill-informed mind equated it to packaged or processed food, and I didn't want any of it. Seriously, what was I thinking? Turns out I was the last person on the planet to finally figure out that rotisserie chicken is crazy delicious. Better late than never.
Now I'll stand at my kitchen counter, eating it straight from the plastic container. With my hands. Going straight for the extra salty, crispy skin first. All class over here.
But what do you do with the leftover rotisserie chicken sitting in your fridge? Here's what you do … make some chicken carnitas! (aka: crispy rotisserie chicken tacos)
I know traditional carnitas are made with pork that's slow-cooked in a pot of lard until it's falling apart tender. Chicken carnitas might seem like a bit of a stretch, but I assure you that they're crazy delicious. And they're about a bazillion times quicker and easier to make than traditional carnitas.
Here's how to make rotisserie chicken tacos
- Shred some leftover rotisserie chicken then broil it until it's crispy.
- Make a simple guacamole and a pineapple salsa.
- Warm up some tortillas.
See how easy that was?
Of course, you don't have to wait till tomorrow to use the leftover chicken; you could buy one just for this recipe. I never make it past the eating it from the container part, though.
Seriously, why is it so good?
You might find it hard to believe that it could ever be made better, but I promise you it can. When it turns crispy in your oven and is smothered between a thick layer of guac and some sweet pineapple pieces, it becomes out of this world.
More Delicious Taco Recipes:
- Best Carnita Tacos
- Crispy Beer Battered Fish Tacos
- Summer Veggie Steak Tacos
- Baja Fish Tacos
- Crockpot Pork Tacos with Crunchy Carrot Slaw
The Pineapple Salsa
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Juice from ½ a lime
- ½ jalapeño or serrano pepper (finely minced)
- 2 large avocados
- Juice from ½ lime
- 1 clove garlic (finely minced)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped rotisserie chicken skin (see notes)
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place the oven rack in the top ⅓ of your oven and then preheat your oven to broil. Mix the pineapple salsa ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.2 cups diced fresh pineapple, 2 tablespoons finely minced red onion, 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, Juice from ½ a lime, ½ jalapeño or serrano pepper
- In a second medium-sized bowl mix all the guacamole ingredients.2 large avocados, Juice from ½ lime, 1 clove garlic, Sea salt
- Mix the shredded rotisserie chicken with the chicken skin together on a baking sheet. Broil in your oven for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is crispy and brown in many spots, mixing halfway through. While the chicken is broiling, warm the tortillas in a frying pan.4 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, ½ cup finely chopped rotisserie chicken skin, 12 corn tortillas
- To serve, pile some guacamole on a warmed tortilla, top with the rotisserie chicken and the pineapple salsa. Serve immediately.
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.