This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This taco rice is a simple but flavorful Mexican side or filling for burritos, bowls, and more. It's flavorful seasoned rice dotted with corn, cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. It's easy to make, and it's ready in under 30 minutes!
This taco rice recipe turns plain old white rice into a delicious side dish or filling packed with Mexican flavor. It's light and fluffy rice jazzed up with our homemade taco seasoning, corn, and cilantro.
Serve it as a side with beans as they do at Mexican restaurants, use it as a filling for burritos, or layer it into a bowl. It's flavorful without being too spicy, and everyone loves this spin on plain rice.
To make it, simply sauté the onion until soft then add the garlic. Stir in the rice and taco seasoning until fragrant, then add the broth, rice, and corn. Cover and simmer it to cook, then turn off the heat so the steam can finish the cooking. Mix in the chopped cilantro and lime juice before serving.
Enjoy this taco rice at your next Mexican dinner or fiesta as a dish the whole family will enjoy. Serve it family-style with other dishes like enchiladas or carnitas for a larger crowd. And a side of guacamole and a margarita will make this rice taste even better!
It's also an easy one to make ahead of time as part of your meal prep, and leftovers taste great tucked into lunches!
How to make taco rice
Mexican night just got a lot tastier with this taco rice recipe! It's easy to make and tastes great as a side dish, or layered into tacos or burritos. Let's make some!
- Start by sautéing the onion in a pot until soft, then add in the garlic.
- Add the rice and taco seasoning, and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the stock, corn, and salt, and bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Cover to cook, then turn off the heat and let it sit to steam before removing the lid.
- Stir in the cilantro and lime juice, and serve.
Taco rice ingredients
If you've ever wondered how to season white rice for tacos, this is your recipe! Here's everything you need to make this tasty taco rice:
- Oil – any cooking oil like olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
- Onion + garlic – for that bold base of flavor.
- Basmati rice – we use white basmati rice but brown basmati or plain long-grain rice works, too. Just be sure to adjust the cooking times accordingly, and avoid jasmine rice as it will be too clingy for this recipe.
- Taco seasoning – we use our homemade taco seasoning which we highly recommend. But feel free to use a store-bought blend or your own mix of a few of the seasonings from the recipe.
- Chicken stock – or vegetable stock for vegetarian taco rice.
- Frozen corn – we always go for frozen vegetables over canned ones because they're a lot less processed, but canned works if that's what you've got.
- Sea salt – if your taco seasoning already has salt in it, you don't need to add any additional salt.
- Cilantro – a bit of fresh cilantro adds freshness and a pop of green color.
- Lime juice – for that bright citrus zing.
How long does it last in the fridge?
Store any leftover taco rice in your fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. It tastes great the next day and is perfect for packing into lunches.
Can I use a different kind of rice?
We find white basmati is an ideal choice for this taco rice but you can use brown basmati rice. Regular long-grain rice will work, but avoid jasmine rice because it will be a bit too sweet and clingy.
Do I need to add cilantro?
We love the flavor of cilantro, but if you're not a fan then feel free to skip it.
What to eat with taco rice
Wondering what you can do with taco rice? Just about anything! Serve it as a side with just about any Mexican dish alongside refried beans, or stuff it into a burrito, or layer it into a bowl.
Recipes that pair well with taco rice
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until it is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.1 tablespoon cooking oil, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the basmati rice and taco seasoning and stir for 2 minutes, until the seasoning is fragrant.1 ½ cups basmati rice, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Add the stock, corn, and salt and stir the pot one more time. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 12 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit with the lid on for 10 minutes.2 ¼ cups chicken stock, 1 cup frozen corn, 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Stir the cilantro and lime juice into the rice and serve right away.¼ cup lime juice, ½ cup chopped cilantro
We have thoroughly tested this recipe for accuracy. However, individual results may vary. See our full recipe disclosure here.