Champagne Margarita (Mexican 75)
Raise your glass because this bubbly champagne margarita (AKA: Mexican 75) is perfect for holidays and celebrations! With tequila, lime, and agave, it's a citrusy and effervescent twist on the classic French 75 cocktail. With just a few simple ingredients, it's easy to make, and it's ready in 5 minutes!
This champagne margarita is for those occasions when you want to have fun but still keep things classy! A twist on the French 75 cocktail, the Mexican 75 is made with tequila, fresh lime juice, agave, and sparkling wine then served in a glass with a classic salt rim.
Like other champagne cocktails, this one's really easy to create. The recipe as written is for one drink, but it's easy to scale up the quantities for a bigger batch for a crowd. Simply stir the margarita ingredients together in a shaker with ice, strain into salt-rimmed glasses, then top with some bubbles. Finish it off with a lime wedge or lime twirl!
It's a bright, refreshing, and elegant cocktail that's as perfect for treating yourself on a Friday night as it is for serving on New Year's Eve. And if you love champagne cocktails, also try our mimosas!
Why you'll love it
- It's quick and easy to make
- It has that perfect sweet-sour taste
- It's naturally sweetened
- It's elegant enough for special occasions
Champagne margarita ingredients
Here's what you'll need to make this refreshing tequila and champagne cocktail:
- Coarse sea salt – for that classic salt rim.
- Tequila – we use white tequila to keep the cocktail light in color and flavor.
- Lime juice – fresh really is best for that full-on tangy taste.
- Agave – this Mexican sweetener derived from blue agave plants dissolves quickly so it's perfect for using in cold beverages. It gives this cocktail its sweetness for the perfect sweet-sour combination.
- Sparkling wine – we typically use a mid-priced brut because it's not overly sweet and won't break the bank. If you like a sweeter cocktail, prosecco or cava are good options.
- Lime wedges or twirls – for garnish.
How to make a margarita with tequila and champagne
It doesn't take much effort to mix up this classy champagne cocktail, but everyone will love it. Here's how to make it in a couple of simple steps:
- Start by giving your glass that classic salt rim. Wet the rim of your glass with a cut lime and dip it into a small bowl filled with sea salt.
- Now get your cocktail shaker and fill it halfway with ice. Add in the tequila, lime juice, and agave and stir it all until cold.
- All that's left to do is strain it into your glass and top it with sparkling wine. Garnish with a lime wedge or twirl!
Full recipe instructions are in the recipe card below.
How to make a lime twirl
Making a lime twirl for garnish is surprisingly easy and fun to do! From the widest part of your lime, slice a thin ¼-inch round, then carefully cut through the peel, and use a paring knife to remove the pulp from the peel. Twist the peel into a curly cue shape around a chopstick or skewer. Now it's ready to use as a garnish for a lovely lime touch!
A silver or white tequila will work great for mixing into these champagne margaritas. You may find that gold tequila has too strong of a flavor for this drink.
You can use simple syrup in place of agave. We don't recommend using honey because it won't dissolve when mixed with the ice.
We know it might be confusing because we call this a champagne margarita but we actually use sparkling wine in the recipe. While you're certainly welcome to use champagne, sparkling wine is more affordable and does the trick.
You can mix the tequila, lime juice, and agave together in advance to save time but wait until you're ready to serve before adding ice and sparkling wine.
When to serve a champagne margarita
A Mexican 75 is the perfect New Year's Eve cocktail for parties you’re hosting or attending. They’re dangerously delicious though so watch out. You might not be able to drink just one!
Appetizers that pair well with a champagne margarita
More tequila cocktail recipes
Champagne Margarita (Mexican 75)
If you love this recipe as much as we do, let us know with a 5-star rating!
- Sea salt, to rim the glasses
- 1 ounce tequila
- ½ ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce agave
- 4 ounces sparkling wine
- Lime wedges or twirls, to garnish
- To rim the glass, put some sea salt into a small bowl. Wet the rim of the glass with a cut lime then dip it into the salt.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice. Add the tequila, lime juice, and agave and stir until it's cold.1 ounce tequila, ½ ounce agave, ½ ounce lime juice
- Strain into the salt-rimmed glass and then top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a lime wedge or twirl.4 ounces sparkling wine